Sew-ers (sewists?) will know what it is

But is it pronounced so-ees-ta or so-is-at?:joy:

2 Likes

The way I imagined it was so-ees-ta like it rhymes with barista! Lol

4 Likes

Because we have a lot of old businesses in our area, many of whom make furniture, we always see “Now hiring sewers” on all the temp agencies in town, and every single time my husband says, “Hey look, they hiring sewers [Ninja turtle style].” He never seems to tire of it. :rofl:

6 Likes

The Last Textile Bender

5 Likes

After I got my Environmental Engineering degree, I could never see the word “sewer” without imagining a fluid waste conveyance system.

5 Likes

A few years ago, before covid (2019), my son’s robotics team (3 kids total), were doing a research project for the competition. They chose to tackle removing microplastics from water at a treatment facility level. It was intense in research and testing from these kids, especially since my son was 10 at the time.

One field trip we had was to the water treatment facility. The parent who scheduled it didn’t know there were two sides. The side she thought she was booking for everyone was the tour of the filtration facility, where they do all the reverse osmosis and give you a bottle of water to drink at the end. She and her son got that side along with the other teammate.

The side we were booked on was where all the sewer water comes to be processed BEFORE it gets to that other side. My son was there among all these college students…and we got to experience the sights and smells of raw sewage as it’s processed. To be honest, it was super interesting and informative, my son asked a lot of questions and got a ton of useful information to base his project on, and he was super glad NOT to have that bottled water from the end of the other tour.

Also, their project didn’t win at finals-the team that proposed a solution to traffic at In-n-Out drive-thrus got that. :rofl: :rofl: I guess knowing your judges before creating a project would’ve been more helpful-high school students care more about fast food being slow than waste treatment facility filters.

10 Likes

:flushed::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

My thought exactly!

where do I find the link for the bowl cozie?

1 Like

right click on this image and ‘save as’…

3 Likes

thank you!!! I have been wanting to make some of these!! I shall become a sewist tomorrow!! lol

1 Like

I sew, but have never come up with a name. I just say “I sew”… :rofl: I get occasional odd looks at Joann…

I have a sewing table in my gun room with a very nice (and expensive) Singer.

5 Likes

My Juki is in the shop getting a service. I have some stuff to make when she comes back.

1 Like

I’m not that fancy. It’s an occasional hobby.

3 Likes

Thanks for the share. Just had my third sewing lesson today.

3 Likes

I use to always prefer sewer until it was pointed out to be the same spelling as sewer (fun fact, last spelling test I passed was 3rd grade…so idk if I am spelling my response correct :slight_smile: )

Sew…now I prefer sewist for self. But I love the topic name and agree that most readers will know what is meant lol. Thanks for posting the file! That is handy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes!! I needed a good stash buster.

3 Likes

Just found this conversation. WARNING WARNING WARNING There is NOTHING that will “bust” up a stash short of a house fire. My wife quilts, sews, embroiders, and makes free-standing ornaments and decorations. The stash has NEVER decreased. Even when our two grown daughters and grown granddaughters come over to ‘help’ reduce the stash it usually is larger when they’ve finished than when they started.

Now, my wood supplies are different…

10 Likes

:laughing:

I hear you…