Sew-ers (sewists?) will know what it is

Hello Fellow Glowforgers,

This is my very first project and I designed it myself on Silhouette Designer Edition.

I saw these all over the place online for $15-$30 and thought…I can make my own! I’m actually very proud of the project. I only cut two sizes so far as a sample but there are six sizes total. One size uses the outside piece and the other size uses the inside piece. I didn’t put the sizes on the templates :frowning_face: but I definitely will add that for the next time.

The words are scored and the big pieces are cut.

Enjoy and get cutting (and sewing)!!

p.s.-It’s a template to make bowl cozies for hot bowls and microwave meals. Makes great quick gifts and is a great scrap-buster. Of course, since this is a Glowforge group, you can most definitely give the templates as a gift!! You can find the sewing instructions anywhere online; just search “bowl cozy”.
Bowl cozy template to cut

48 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been wanting to make a couple of these!

6 Likes

I know very little about sewing but for some reason I know that the word you are looking for is “seamstress”. I like “sewist” too though.

11 Likes

The term “sewist” has been around for about 150 years, although it only became popular in the last 20 years.

I know of several people who describe themselves with the term, including the daughter of a friend.

11 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Gonna have to try making a few of these. Thanks for sharing…

6 Likes

Nice share!

5 Likes

Great share! Thanks!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

That is a neat project – kudos for designing it yourself with that program!

4 Likes

Seamster: a person employed at sewing

“Seamster.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary , Merriam-Webster, Seamster Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster. Accessed 24 Aug. 2022.

8 Likes

Then what’s a hamster?

6 Likes

A person that cures pork, of course. :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! And welcome back to the forum!

2 Likes

I prefer “sewista”.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. I am a sewer and have been seeing this advertised and wasn’t sure if I was going to purchase but wanted to try and make one. You are so great to do this, again thank you!

2 Likes

I had no idea that “sewist” is a common term now! lol

5 Likes

Me neither, the things we learn here!

4 Likes

Bwahahahaha!!!

4 Likes

Honestly, I never thought about any term besides seamstress…which just made me realize that “sew-er” without the hyphen is sewer…in the nicest idea possible-home of the Ninja Turtles…

6 Likes

TMNT! :rofl:

3 Likes