Shadowbox Art

Excellent work! You should be proud of it.

2 Likes

Looks amazing!

1 Like

Beautiful! Making 2D feel 3D… props

1 Like

Wow. That is totally awesome.

1 Like

This is sooo amazing! I love how you got the villain to come out at night only. Amazing job

2 Likes

Love it so beautiful even in it’s scariness.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful!!! Love it! And the lighting is perfect. What weight of cardstock did you use? And do you mind sharing your settings? I’ve been playing with paper but your results are much better than mine.

1 Like

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! I’ve always loved shadow box art. My favorite christmas ornament as a kid was something similar. This is so beautiful. Great job!

1 Like

Splendid!

1 Like

First of all…wow this is fantastic!!!

I’m a little confused how you did this. Do you have (from back to front) your villain, then your sky, then your various layers to make the scene? I think it’s very cool how he only shows during the “night” but I don’t understand how it works so that this is what happens. Am I just over thinking that and it’s simply a light directly behind him to cast the shadow or is it something else? Would you mind clarifying? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, there is a ‘sky’ layer in the back that is just a solid white piece of card stock. Glued to the back of that, is a black silhouette of the villain. Directly behind him, are addressable LEDs. During all of the daytime scenes, the LEDs behind him are off. And the LEDs in front of the sky is on. At night, the ones behind him come on, while the ones in front dim, and go off.

The LEDs are on the ‘floor’ and ‘ceiling’ of the box, so the light is diffused and you don’t get ‘hot spots’ of light being directly behind paper shining on it.

We watch OTGW every Halloween while we wait for trick or treaters. It doesn’t feel like fall till we put on the soundtrack.
I want to make this so bad! You need to instructible this thing! My cat, Dr. Jason F Cucumber approves.

1 Like

These are beautiful! Nice work! I’m trying to do something similar in my classroom. I’m looking for a low budget way to light up the shadow box. The addressable leds you used - are they a strip? How are you powering it?

1 Like

Hey Hrogers, For a classroom setting this example may not be cheap. Here’s a breakdown of the above examples electronics cost:

~ $4.00 (Arduino Nano) LAFVIN Nano V3.0 (Get the ones that come with mini USB cables)
~ $2.50 (x24 Addressable LEDs per student ) ALITOVE WS2812B
~ $2.00 (connectors, wire, solder, etc…)

• you’ll need to secure the board to your box somehow, you could get prototype boards to screw to the back of the box, or just hot glue or tape it…
    *you’ll also need a USB port to power each of these in a classroom setting. (I assume they each would have a computer in front of them.)

TOTAL ~ $8.50 per student, for the electrical components. In addition, depending on your age range and skill level, this may be too advanced. Cutting the LED strips requires that you solder connectors or wires to the ends you cut. Not to mention soldering the pins to all the Nanos. You could do this ahead of time for them, but it’s quite time consuming… The addressable LEDs will also require some programming. Again, you could program and pre-load all the Nano boards ahead of time. which would be pretty quick work unless the point of the class is to have them learn the code and do it themselves.

To answer the last question, they are powered through a standard USB port. The arduino Nano is powered through a Mini USB, so you’ll need a ‘Mini USB to USB’ cable (hard to find in stores, but they are about $9 for a 3 pack on Amazon) Optionally, when the students take them home, they can also power them with a standard phone backup battery with a USB out port. I’ve found they will power the nano for 12-24 hours depending on the battery capacity. *NOTE one issue many people have found with more modern phone charger batteries is that they may shut themselves off when the nano is plugged in, because the nano is not drawing enough power from it. This is a newer feature where the battery assumes your phone is mostly charged, so shuts down to save power. I’ve found the cheaper and dumber the battery, the more likely it will work. Buy one first and test it, because they do not label weather they come with this feature or not. it’s just a guessing game.

If programming and wiring electronics is NOT the goal of your class, and you are more interested in building a shadowbox as an art project, you could also consider buying each student an LED pot light with remote. a 4 pack on amazon is about $16, which would bring per-student cost down to $4 + Batteries.

2 Likes

Great show, awesome art

1 Like

Wow! Thank you so much for the information! This definitely gives me some ideas. I’m a computer science teacher co-teaching the class with the art teacher. Because of our time frame and having to work with a new budgeting system this year, I don’t think this can be done this year, but programming the LEDs would certainly be a good fit for this class for next year! This all helps a lot - thank you!

1 Like

How about wooden box? Did you make by yourself, because online they are so expensive…

Yes I built those myself.