Shadowbox Art

Some Images of my shadowbox. I am a huge fan of the cartoon ‘Over the Garden Wall’. So I made this box as a piece of fan art to the show. I drew the silhouettes in photoshop. Each layer was a separate drawing, then I cut the images out of cardstock on the glowforge. Each layer then had a 1/4" foamcore ‘frame’ put around it, to space the layers apart from each other.

The layer furthest back is a blank piece of cardstock, which acts as my ‘sky’ layer. There is a row of addressable LED’s on the top, and the bottom of that layer. Using an Arduino Micro Controller, I wrote code that would tell the LED’s to shift and change color to simulate different times of day. It starts in a ‘morning’ mode, than moves on to afternoon, sunset, then night time. In the night time mode, a second set of LED’s comes on behind the ‘sky’ layer. On the back of the sky layer, I cut out a shape of the villain of the cartoon with black paper, so that he would block light coming through. So he only appears at night, (as he does in the cartoon). To top off the effect I put two small yellow LEDs behind his eye holes so that his glowing yellow glare would fade in as well.

I’ve been working on this for about two weeks and I’m super happy with how it turned out. Follow me on Instagram if you want to see the build process. I documented every step. I’ll be doing more pieces like this in the future for sure.
https://www.instagram.com/scarybeardpro/

96 Likes

another image of the box:

24 Likes

Last one:

31 Likes

Awesome! Amazing creativity & cross-discipline project.

2 Likes

This is wonderful! Great job.

1 Like

Amazing! Great work, love the depth and the villain.

1 Like

Beautiful! Such a delicate result and still eerie. :grinning:
(I’m afraid I’d have nightmares if that was in my bedroom.)

2 Likes

wow! I love it when artists show off there work!

2 Likes

Impressive, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Beautifully done!

2 Likes

That is enchanting! I skipped over to your Instagram and watched the video. The lighting effect is fantastic!! Great job! :smile:

2 Likes

This is the type stuff I want to do.

Nice instagram page. I see you are a fellow arcade nerd too. I built the same cabinet and ended up upgrading to a full sized one.

1 Like

Wow, incredible wow. I love the muted/washed out/shadow style. And I’m glad I decided I never want to sleep again because after seeing a picture of the night mode that is not going to be a problem.

2 Likes

These are unbelievable! Great job!

1 Like

Oh gosh, this is amazing! I know nothing about the show but I really like the figures. And that LED lit one is just spooky!

1 Like

Brilliant!

I tried to make one and failed and yours is so good it might be a while before I try again.

Excellent work!

1 Like

That is pretty damned awesome. Excellent job.

2 Likes

The people in the forum are truly creative and amazingly super-duper-duper smart!!!

This project is so cool and came out Fan-fricking-tastic!!!

5 Likes

Just…wow!

1 Like

I posted about making these before I even had a glowforge. This is beyond cool! So glad there are owners doing this!

1 Like