Shaper Origin Updates

Excited about this, I opted to back this from the get-go instead of getting a larger CNC.

2 Likes

Using a pre-release unit in their shop was like playing a video game! Really neat experience…

That thing is in an amazingly designed piece of hardware & I am sooo looking forward to getting creative in larger formats of woodworking with it.

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting to find a thread about Shaper here - found it searching for shaper origin forums!

Latest update says I should be getting my shaper before my glowforge - Batch 1 is shipping next week.

Looking forward to exploring this for larger scale projects, and using it in conjunction with the glowforge.

3 Likes

thanks for the heads up, I see the Shaper Origin email came in today and I needed to confirm shipping address!

There’s been a Shaper video explosion on YouTube. Here’s the first one that I’ll be watching…

And their channel, with a list of their other videos…

Looks like Shaper created a Fusion 360 add-on that could be very useful for Glowforgers as well (since Glowforge hasn’t bothered to make one). It looks like it’ll create a filled SVG file out of selected planar faces. It will apparently also export parallel faces (or maybe a silhouette) in the same body as the initially selected face. Pretty sweet! There’s no kerf correction… until the SVG is loaded into the Shaper Origin that is. Apparently Shaper was able to make their computer perform the super-amazing and complicated task of offsetting a line, without the power of Google’s cloud servers. Incredible!

The add-on starts being used at 5:57 in the video I posted above…
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ27OCaqVlA&t=5m57s )

At the moment the add-in isn’t available, it’s apparently being compiled but will/should be here before long…

3 Likes

It appears that you don’t understand the difference between kerf compensation for spinning tools and lasers.

Also the SO compensates for the cutter but not for intangibles, that is manual on the unit as offset settings.

2 Likes

Right, offsetting for the kerf of a “spinning tool” and offsetting for the kerf of a laser beam are two completely different processes. Please, @markevans36301 , TRY to explain the difference.

Seriously, give it a shot. I know you won’t because you can’t, because the your post, while successfully being personally insulting, is not accurate.

Please, indulge us by explaining yourself further. How is offsetting for a laser different than offsetting for a spinning tool? Go ahead. Tell us. Just try.

I invite @jamesdhatch, @wesleyjames, or anyone else to attempt to elucidate the differences as well.

4 Likes

Sigh.

2 Likes

Kerf compensation for cnc routers: take cutter diameter, divide by two. Offset by this amount. That is all Vcarve is doing in generating G-code for any cnc router, that is all the Shaper origin is doing. anything beyond that is manual.

Kerf compensation for laser: take beam width, factor in speed, material, power, material thickness, acceleration, deceleration, the terminal velocity of a sparrow…

You can’t insult me over grammar, spelling, or sentence structure. I’m dyslexic and well aware of that.

If you feel insulted or threatened by anything I have written perhaps you should reread your own post and reflect some?

2 Likes

Interesting choice of words.

Lasers use heat to vaporize materials and the nature of the process leaves an angled profile kerf cut, but also depending on variations within the material the kerf width is not as precisely predictable. Materials don’t always cut/melt/vaporize the same way within the same sheet, much less within the same production batches. Two cuts in maple hardwood for example, using identical settings, can vary from .004" to .008" (numbers I have measured from my own projects).

With a spinning tool, the profile shape of the cut takes on that of the cutting tool, and other than bearing/spindle runout within the tool itself, or tear-out of the material at the cut, the kerf is consistent.

2 Likes

Wrong, sorry. The kerf may vary based on speed, power, thickness, frequency, beam width, focus, temperature, ambient gasses, lens clarity, alignment, distance from laser emitter to material, moisture content, and any other nonsense you care to list. Compensating for that kerf doesn’t involve anything other than dividing the kerf by 2 and offsetting by the quotient.

Also wrong, sorry. Closer to right than @markevans36301, but still wrong. If I cared to perpetuate this discussion into the realm of pedantry that you’re introducing I might mention a couple other factors that can affect the kerf left by spinnies. But once you’ve settled on a kerf value that you can live with, compensating for it is as simple as offsetting by half the kerf width.

3 Likes

Pidgen on chess board…

Ad homonym…

(again)

I suspect you won’t be flagged though. SHOCKER!

Classy.

So, I guess what you are saying is that we’ll never have kerf correction because it’s too complicated and can’t be predicted?

I mean, a variation of .004"/2, how ever would we be able to stand such a thing?

I have no worries though, since this was an advertised feature I am confident Glowforge has already figured it out and just as soon as everyone has their units they’ll get right on getting it to us. (SUPER CHEERY FACE)

4 Likes

There is also tool wear, conventional vs climb cutting, work piece and tool deflection… So just as many issues as a laser has if you really want to break it down.

But that all goes into choosing your kerf; all the actual software has to do is take whatever diameter you say your kerf is and offset by that amount.

5 Likes

All correct, he did say run out and I count that the same as tool wear. All these mater to one degree or another but to my knowledge no one is even trying to automate this on a cnc router.

Go back in the thread and @Hirudin claims that Shaper pulled some kind of hat trick with kirf, and while these guys look to be super sharp they didn’t do any magic there. The small intangibles are left to the end user.

I employed a communication technique called sarcasm to convey one meaning while saying the opposite. I thought my overuse of superlatives would have been a clear indication of the intended meaning, but I neglected to consider that it’s still technically possible for some to miss sarcasm, even when it’s laid on very thick.

Yea no he didn’t, he just pointed out that they have kerf compensation in the machine and glowforge dont have it even though they are using an entire server to process it.

1 Like