Shaper Origin Updates

I got to this thread by accident. The Origin is amazing for bigger stuff. I ordered one to go along with the GF that will hopefully arrive in one piece this Friday. I’m glad I got sidetracked today. A few wonderful tools to hopeful start a fruitfull business.

2 Likes

Just received the shipping notification for my Shaper Origin…

Gonna be a very cash-poor, material-rich summer this year keeping the GF and SO fed.

2 Likes

I’m very much looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I’ve barely touched mine due to illness and other obligations but it is SO cool. It just got it’s first major sw update. I’m not sure if yours will have it installed or if it will install itself right after you get it.

1 Like

I’ve made the tool holder and have a couple of projects planned. The tool is very cool and I’m definitely happy that I ordered one!

2 Likes

Has there been any update on or when this tool will start selling to Europe or other countries?

Have had my Shaper for about 2 weeks now. Fortunately I have realized that there are times when it is not quite the right tool. :slight_smile: But being able to add pockets to materials is quite nice.

Need to work on setting up a bench for using the Shaper at though. You can use a single tape installation for anything under 15 inches deep if you set up right, so I am eager to get to that point.

3 Likes

I’ve had mine since a couple days after my latest post in this thread, but other than setting it up on wi-fi to get the latest updates, I havent messed with it.

I’m off next week, with any luck I’ll be able to make a more detailed report in a week.

So, finally, I have got to spend some time with the SO. Monday I used it to cut some dados in some upcycled particleboard to make some dividers for my :glowforge: materials. I could have done this quicker and better with a straightedge but that was not the point, the point was to get to know the SO and that worked well for that.

Tuesday I made a paper towel holder for the slat wall in the lair. This was my first real project on the SO and I now love it. I love the workflow and I love that everything I learned about designing in Fusion 360 for the :glowforge: applies to the SO. We are going to have a great time together.

11 Likes

Gonna be a very cash-poor, material-rich summer this year keeping the GF and SO fed.

Hahahahah… I’ve always read GF as Girl Friend and now SO as Significant Other… this thread… I just can’t.

3 Likes

Same problem as soon as I saw the SO abbreviation :smiley:

Being able to make pockets is phenomenal. I am starting to wonder about shaped bits to allow curve/bevel cuts and maybe even grooves which are larger on the inside.

I do wish that there was less sawdust while using the SO. BUT… I have been using it on MDF so far, which is known to generate a LOT of sawdust anyway. And I have not yet been brave enough to run it without the shopvac on at all. So I am sure there is considerably less sawdust than I would have otherwise. I just had unrealistic expectations of ZERO sawdust :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You generally need a dust shoe to get zero sawdust when routing wood. I.e. a wall of bristles around the cutter as well as a strong vacuum.

If anyone is still standing on the bridge undecided you need to know that today (feb 23 2018) is the last day to preorder batch 2 SO, after today you will have to wait until they have established retail outlets and pay more.

2 Likes