Sheepish Earrings

I have a fiber show coming up next month. Along with shuttles and other fiber tools, people have asked for fiber-related jewelry. Here are some sheep earrings, and a llama pendant. (Don’t you wish there were pre-dyed sheep for real?)

The net shuttles are clear except for where I painted alcohol ink on the inside cuts (masking was still on; I’m not that steady). When lying flat, they are unremarkable, but held at an angle shows a flash of color.

37 Likes

18 Likes

Those are adorable, and I immediately though it would be neat if the shuttle was a beaded pendant somehow!

I once saw something like a large bobbin that was basically a naked sheep where you wrapped the yarn around it to create it’s fluff. That would make some adorable DIY earrings – add your own spun bit of fluff .:heart_eyes_cat:

9 Likes

MUST HAVE!

[Warning: Body seems unclear; complete message?}

3 Likes

Cool idea. I’m working from a different angle: enlarge the shapes, cut out w/a large border, and use as a stencil for needle felting.

3 Likes

I NEED some pet sheep. It is not a desire, it is a NEED.

7 Likes

I came sooooooo close to buying a pair (or 3) of Dwarf Nigerian Goats. But my good judgement prevailed; they aren’t fiber animals. (But I would never have to mow my lawn again!)

3 Likes

I took that photo at the Clark County (WA) fair in 2018. I’m guessing they dyed her with Kool-Aid. My granddaughter and I both loved it because we play Minecraft together, and you can dye Minecraft sheep before shearing them, to get colored wool. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is just to dye for!

4 Likes

Actually, cashmere comes from goats, but I don’t think dwarf Nigerians are included in cashmere goats.

2 Likes

Cute pendants! Did you hand color them, or is that sublimation magic?

1 Like

You would still need to mow your lawn. We have 6 Nigerian Dwarf goats and absolutely love them. They will eat weeds and the bark of trees, but really aren’t grass eaters. We still mow their fields because they also don’t like tall grass! I actually brushed them and thought I would try to use their hair for trying to make fiber, but decided it wouldn’t work. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The shuttles are a great idea. I’ve wanted to get in to weaving and spinning, just haven’t yet. And now that I have a GF, I may not! Getting too old to do that much multitasking with crafts! Not enough time to do all I want!

2 Likes

Good to know…I guess I’ll need geese as well.

I’m working on an inkle shuttle that has a cardboard tube (bobbin) within, so it’s easier to manage your weft yarn. Just about to cut the new prototype now. If it works, I’ll post the results.

@cynd11 , I hand colored them with acrylic inks. Judicious removal of masking during the coloring process.

1 Like

Great job on the earrings … they are adorable.

2 Likes

Thank you. As a vendor at a number of fiber shows, I’ve found there is a ready audience for jewelry like this. Lightweight, eye-catching and affordable. Oh, and on-topic!

4 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Angora too! If you get a pygora (pygmy/angora cross) you can just comb the fiber out - no shearing necessary!

2 Likes