Shogi for beginners

Brilliant design, especially the beginner features! I’ll bet a similar design for Chess would be successful.

3 Likes

Wow!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Beautifully done! I love the Asanoha Kumiko pattern on the side of the box!

3 Likes

Thank you! That pattern, when I drew it out, I really enjoyed making it. It started out as a hexagon that I connected corners and then made triangles (I’m sure there is an easier way, but at the time I was just playing around). I liked it so much that I decided to use it on as many items as I could think of.

Actually, the first board I made to test out the pattern, it was much smaller and although I really liked it, it took FOREVER to score. So to save time, I made it simpler and larger. This was the only clear picture I could find; it still had masking on it.

Also, I called it a star, I didn’t know the name of the pattern until you mentioned it since I made it playing around :rofl: :rofl: Definitely far from a hemp leaf. I called it a star because it definitely looked liked a star to me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oops.

3 Likes

The ‘Asanoha’ pattern is one of the oldest and most popular pattern in Japan for Kumiko designs. The triangle wards off evil and the aggregation of triangles symbolizes strength and beauty.

I recently made some “Ariake-Andon” table lanterns and used the Asanoha-Kumiko pattern on the sides of the lantern.

3 Likes

I’m so glad to learn more about it! I love how there is a deep meaning behind all the patterns and symbols, but I really only know the ones I see on a daily basis, so I have much to learn…my husband had no interest in this growing up, so asking him about the names of the patterns is pointless…unless of course it has to do with the family crest, only then I can get a straight answer.

1 Like

So cool. Great design work!

1 Like

Wow! That is amazing. Your father and son will love it. Now you just have to make one for your son so you can practice. My ADHD wouldn’t let me sit long enough o play, let alone learn how.

We have a board at home that my son uses to kick my butt. I should find him a computer game or something, because honestly, he’s not getting better by playing with me, and that’s his only shot at beating my dad.

1 Like

Maybe there are online games? Or he and gramps could play via FaceTime/ text. Technology makes it easy to be with someone without being with someone nowadays.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Just need my dad’s work schedule. He works 7 days a week, swing shift. So finding a good time to call him is hard.