Shot Glass Jig & Template

Okay very cool.

But now for a completely low tech method - clay (or play-doh) in a shallow tray. Press the shot glasses in using a sheet of plywood or another tray on top to get them all to press in evenly and flat to the plane of the tray.

5 Likes

I did learn some new stuff by watching this, thanks!

1 Like

Nicely done! I learned about using pattern arrays. :smiley:

1 Like

thank you for sharing you time and Knowledge if you share the STL files those of use with printers could 3d print them out as well. might as well combine passions.

2 Likes

I think the method of holding the glasses is awesome. Would an additional method of securing the glass from shifting during print be feasible? felt-covered magnet that could exert pressure against the bottom of the glass when placed inside? hinged latches that could twist to hold the base of the glass in place?

2 Likes

I have never used a laser before but I assume friction will be enough to hold the glasses in place.

2 Likes

nor have I, good point

2 Likes

I think most of us who make things are used to cutting tools that exert a fair amount of force on the object being cut, and a laser, even with air assist and ventilation, messes with that intuition.

3 Likes

Absolutely. The CNC router is great at defeating every effort I make to clamp my work piece down.

4 Likes

The air assist will be the greatest force acting on whatever you’re cutting, whether it’s a shot glass or a flat piece of glass. After that, the slight amount of shake that will probably happen as the head moves around would be the next concern. With a fixture like in the OP gravity will provide plenty of holding force.

Some stuff will warp when it’s heated, and some stuff will bend or twist when you cut it (because tension is being relieved); with glass, these aren’t a concern as long as you aren’t going way overboard with the power. And if you are going way overboard with the power, affixing it to the bed won’t help.

3 Likes

I remembered this video I recorded that I think shows just how little force a laser exerts pretty well. And it’s only ~30 seconds long…
(mute if you don’t care to hear fan noise)

From…

8 Likes

@hirudin I never thought about it because I always assumed the only forces would come from airflow, but I suppose there’s a tiny force generated by the expanding gasses when you vaporize material. Hm!

3 Likes

Now that units are shipping has anyone tried this?

Yes, I started another thread about it: Engraved shot glasses

I haven’t made the 20-glass jig. I’m still dialing in the settings but I’m getting pretty good results using a 1-glass jig. Through experimentation, I found I needed to make some minor adjustments to the jig. Anyone who gets shot glasses from another source will have to confirm all the measurements.

But the concept is sound and is working on a production Glowforge.

1 Like