Should I laser it

Hi Glowforge Experts,

I have an Intel nuc mini computer. It has a plastic lid that comes off about 6x6 that I want to engrave with my name. I can’t find any identifying material info on it except a recycle triangle and a “2”, but not near the triangle I chatted with Intel tech support and the only thing they were able to find is that it is plastic, but not what kind.

I tried to find an sds sheet but could not locate one.

My guess is that it is not a dangerous plastic, PVC, because I’m pretty sure computer cases are not made out of PVC. I look into what laptops are made of.

My question is should I try to engrave it? And is so what settings should I use?

Thanks.

No. :slight_smile:

And who knows?

No.

Not just because you don’t know what it is, but because the one guy that I remember commenting did it, did not get good results. (tagging @jamesdhatch)

And you really don’t want to mess up your computer. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to decorate it, you might want to just cut a veneer cover for it. That can be engraved or cut, and it sticks on with very stout adhesive.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. The lid comes off, so the computer is not in jeopardy It’s separate and costs less than $4 to replace.

The veneer idea is not something I considered.

Yeah, I didn’t want to do anything permanent to my iPhone, so I did a veneer inlay for the leather cover. It’s held up for well over a year now.

1 Like

would it be possible to cut an acrylic version of the lid?

2 Likes

This is what I’m working with

ttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1122065

Yep you remember correctly :smiling_face: It doesn’t take much power before it’s digging the engrave deep and the edges of the lettering I did were brown and slaggy. If I were to do it again I’d start with something like 5.

What’s funny is I found that very Intel PC in the trunk of my car just a couple of weeks ago. Still don’t know what I’ll ever use it for but it was a cool thing at the time I got it :blush:

I second what @Jules said. I did my iPad a year ago, and it’s still just as beautiful as it was on day one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recycle code 2 is HDPE. Not the laseriest of materials. You can search the forum if you like but as I recall it’s melty.

4 Likes

Cool! I had never seen that. Maybe my laptop needs a swanky veneer.

1 Like

maybe cut a hole in the lid, and glue an engraved acrylic “window” in place?

It worked.
Settings:
Unknown Material
Thickness: 1.75mm
Speed: 1000
Power: 20

I did the under side before doing the top. In case it didn’t work. This is a picture of the under side. The square in the top right was my first test to make sure I didn’t melt it

I thought the contrast would get lost and considered doing a vinyl. But the under side test worked so did the public facing side.

2 Likes