Show and Tell

Nice!
Did you install the utilities in the wall and the lights? Never saw an in wall conduit like that. Can’t tell from the pic, are the 4 connections​ for network?

Nice woodwork, and beefy hardware! Thanks for sharing the household evolution :sunglasses:

I ran all of the low-voltage when we finished the basement. I didn’t do the lights or electrical, other than picking locations. Electrical work makes me anxious, and with the timeline we had for getting things done I decided there would be better times to learn electrical.

The in-wall conduit is just a nicely sized (about 6 inches) gap between two studs that was perfectly located. I’ve got low voltage boxes in it on top, bottom, and at keyboard height. Top and bottom have https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3997 as wall plates. Middle doesn’t have a plate yet, but will have a brush plate like https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21629 soon.

There are 4 network connections in the room. I went way over the top when running ethernet around the house, since this was pretty much the only chance I was going to have. 4 Cat 6 runs per room, plus 2 to the projector in the family room. 34 runs total. Only 3 are in use today, but I’m ready.

Part of my reasoning in running 4 is that you can send HDMI over 2 Cat 6 lines (sometimes 1 line, but that’s been less reliable in my experience), so I wanted to have the ability to have a central hub that could send video to every room. I also ran 6-strand fiber for future-proofing because I got a deal on a 300 foot spool which was enough to reach every room that I’d already run ethernet to.

We want to live in this house til our kids move out (college or otherwise), which figures to be at least 18 years from now (youngest is 5 months old), so I figured that if I amortized the cost over that time it cost me only a few bucks a year to do all of this.

I posted previously about my server rack setup:

5 Likes

Oh, and I’m not using the ethernet jacks yet because my ethernet tools are at a friend’s house and none of my patch cables are quite long enough to run up the conduit and reach the back of the display.

1 Like

Impressive! Well thought out. :+1:
A central hub would be so cool!

1 Like

Go Aggies! Cool to see someone else from USU in line for a Glowforge. Way to go on that wall climber, USU has all the spidey things…spidey wall climber, spidey goats… ;p ;p ;p

1 Like

My small addition to this thread:
I made a mold out of Oogru (diy sugru-like silicone mix), Great Stuff foam, and a box. Finished 4" casts of cement and hypertufa munnies. ;p

Electronic Textile voodoo doll that has individual LEDs on his head that light up depending on where you stab him;p

And a handful of Halloween eyeball marbles;p

40 Likes

I want that voodoo doll! Do you sell them? :relaxed:

4 Likes

Haha! The voodoo doll looks like a Little Big Planet game character!

6 Likes

I am so glad to have learned about Oogru. There are some concrete projects I have been wanting to do for a long time.

2 Likes

Neat stuff! You work with glass? I have seen some really cool effects from metals added to glass for colors.
Thanks for sharing those crafts with us! :sunglasses:

I like your eyes. How did you make them? :relaxed:

10 Likes

Sounds like a pick-up line at a bar… lol :grin:

17 Likes

“The whites of your eyes are like glossy spheres of urethane casting resin, your iris is like a shimmering acrylic droplet suspended in an aqueous solution…”

15 Likes

Go Aggies Go Aggies Hey Hey Hey.

@nick07lee I can’t get to your portfolio. I don’t know if this is what you expect a casual browser to see; but my internet isn’t actually slow.

3 Likes

Ya… I didn’t renew the domain name. It was free the first year, but i didnt read the fine print saying it was exorbitant after… I’ll pull down the link.

Edit: It wont let me edit the post. It might be too old?

1 Like

The Internet is forever. Youngsters should remember that when posting incriminating selfies. . . In case they want to run for office someday.

8 Likes

“Gampa - is that really you??” :fearful:

11 Likes

@ihermit2 suggested I should throw a few pictures of my anvil build on this thread!

This is what I started with. My brother and I lugged pieces of a cut up railway about a kilometer. Biggest one was around 80 pounds.

I started the project by cleaning the whole thing and flattening the top a bit!

I marked out the horn and then started cutting and grinding

And after a paint job here is the final thing!

Months later I built a stand for it!

And here are a few shots from my first day using it. I’m still learning but it’s a fun hobby!

38 Likes

Nice work! Did you scrape the paint off the top yourself, or did it come off under normal wear from pounding the hot metal?

3 Likes

Nice! Serious grinder time on that. The stand, the forge - I like all of it!
A kilometer? Thinking about a wheel barrow after about 5 steps!

9 Likes