Show and Tell

“The whites of your eyes are like glossy spheres of urethane casting resin, your iris is like a shimmering acrylic droplet suspended in an aqueous solution…”

15 Likes

Go Aggies Go Aggies Hey Hey Hey.

@nick07lee I can’t get to your portfolio. I don’t know if this is what you expect a casual browser to see; but my internet isn’t actually slow.

3 Likes

Ya… I didn’t renew the domain name. It was free the first year, but i didnt read the fine print saying it was exorbitant after… I’ll pull down the link.

Edit: It wont let me edit the post. It might be too old?

1 Like

The Internet is forever. Youngsters should remember that when posting incriminating selfies. . . In case they want to run for office someday.

8 Likes

“Gampa - is that really you??” :fearful:

11 Likes

@ihermit2 suggested I should throw a few pictures of my anvil build on this thread!

This is what I started with. My brother and I lugged pieces of a cut up railway about a kilometer. Biggest one was around 80 pounds.

I started the project by cleaning the whole thing and flattening the top a bit!

I marked out the horn and then started cutting and grinding

And after a paint job here is the final thing!

Months later I built a stand for it!

And here are a few shots from my first day using it. I’m still learning but it’s a fun hobby!

38 Likes

Nice work! Did you scrape the paint off the top yourself, or did it come off under normal wear from pounding the hot metal?

3 Likes

Nice! Serious grinder time on that. The stand, the forge - I like all of it!
A kilometer? Thinking about a wheel barrow after about 5 steps!

9 Likes

Thanks for posting that. There is something so satisfying about working red hot steel. - Rich

4 Likes

I took the paint of myself! I went at it with a sanding disk attached to my angle grinder to get the look.
I was considering just letting it wear off with time but I liked the look of the orange and steel together

4 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve got a tiny hatchback. No way I could have thrown a wheel barrow in the back!

3 Likes

Lots of cool things here. All this time and I’ve never actually posted anything of my own here. I’m a luthier so I guess Ill share my favorite build. Like many makers, my favorite creation is usually just my most recent one. This one will soon be replaced on the mantle of giddy excitement but for now its still my favorite.
This is a 6 string bass harp. Huzzah!

Clearly this is not laser-made lol. I actually took the plunge on the glowforge because I have all sorts of ideas to integrate engraving and weird nontraditional things into my builds. Hopefully soon!

73 Likes

Great looking project @sameolegrind, thanks for sharing. If you do not mind, what woods did you use.

2 Likes

Not at all. Its a 5 piece maple neck. The fingerboard is bubinga. The body is a sandwich of sapele, pine, and sapele. The harp armature piece is sapele and maple. I think that’s everything on there.

8 Likes

Such a beautiful job. I really appreciate great wood work, and this is fantastic. The shape is so very pleasing as is your choice of woods. Thanks for sharing. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Gorgeous! :relaxed:

4 Likes

That is just GORGEOUS! I’very never even heard of a bass harp before. Do you have any links to a performance of this thing?

8 Likes

It is very beautiful.

6 Likes

Beautiful work! I am just getting into this craft/art. My son and I just finished an electric cello. I love all the different options there are. If you don’t mind me asking what are your favorite suppliers for hardware? You have some great looking pieces on that! I would love to hear some audio too!

6 Likes

Thanks! Unfortunately not at the moment. I’m a guitar guy so I can’t do it justice. I built it for a friend so I’m hoping that I can get some video/audio of him on it soon.

Don’t really have a favorite. I tend to build oddball things so I use just about everybody since rarely does one supplier have everything that I need. In some cases I actually have to make my own. On that bass, the bridges are T4M but the two brass string catches I milled myself.

You should post a pic of it! Always love seeing instruments. Unless you already did and I missed it… There’s a lot of posts here.

7 Likes