Show and Tell

Nice work! Did you scrape the paint off the top yourself, or did it come off under normal wear from pounding the hot metal?

3 Likes

Nice! Serious grinder time on that. The stand, the forge - I like all of it!
A kilometer? Thinking about a wheel barrow after about 5 steps!

9 Likes

Thanks for posting that. There is something so satisfying about working red hot steel. - Rich

4 Likes

I took the paint of myself! I went at it with a sanding disk attached to my angle grinder to get the look.
I was considering just letting it wear off with time but I liked the look of the orange and steel together

4 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve got a tiny hatchback. No way I could have thrown a wheel barrow in the back!

3 Likes

Lots of cool things here. All this time and I’ve never actually posted anything of my own here. I’m a luthier so I guess Ill share my favorite build. Like many makers, my favorite creation is usually just my most recent one. This one will soon be replaced on the mantle of giddy excitement but for now its still my favorite.
This is a 6 string bass harp. Huzzah!

Clearly this is not laser-made lol. I actually took the plunge on the glowforge because I have all sorts of ideas to integrate engraving and weird nontraditional things into my builds. Hopefully soon!

73 Likes

Great looking project @sameolegrind, thanks for sharing. If you do not mind, what woods did you use.

2 Likes

Not at all. Its a 5 piece maple neck. The fingerboard is bubinga. The body is a sandwich of sapele, pine, and sapele. The harp armature piece is sapele and maple. I think that’s everything on there.

8 Likes

Such a beautiful job. I really appreciate great wood work, and this is fantastic. The shape is so very pleasing as is your choice of woods. Thanks for sharing. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Gorgeous! :relaxed:

4 Likes

That is just GORGEOUS! I’very never even heard of a bass harp before. Do you have any links to a performance of this thing?

8 Likes

It is very beautiful.

6 Likes

Beautiful work! I am just getting into this craft/art. My son and I just finished an electric cello. I love all the different options there are. If you don’t mind me asking what are your favorite suppliers for hardware? You have some great looking pieces on that! I would love to hear some audio too!

6 Likes

Thanks! Unfortunately not at the moment. I’m a guitar guy so I can’t do it justice. I built it for a friend so I’m hoping that I can get some video/audio of him on it soon.

Don’t really have a favorite. I tend to build oddball things so I use just about everybody since rarely does one supplier have everything that I need. In some cases I actually have to make my own. On that bass, the bridges are T4M but the two brass string catches I milled myself.

You should post a pic of it! Always love seeing instruments. Unless you already did and I missed it… There’s a lot of posts here.

7 Likes

That - is magnificent!
Art for the ear and the eye! The strings, and the design lines both sing. That is one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing that!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

These are absolutely stunning. I love the art that goes into making musical instruments I’m so impressed. Please please share more!

4 Likes

omg, for a moment, I thought that the before was the after! lolol

this was me

5 Likes

Work asked if I could do some “20 year work anniversary” glasses for them this year (did some last year). Sorry about the pics - hard to take pics of the glassses engraved on both sides.

Another co-worker was having a Quinciera for her daughter and wanted her name/date on small glass globes (I believe they put them on small inverted flowerpots painted to look like gumball machines…)

You can kind of see how silicon carbide does a really smooth engrave - a little more than aluminum oxide which looks more frosted (still nice though!). I really like using the silicon carbide to blast.

PS weeding the ® on the silhouette was not fun (Keeping it on while blasting was even not more !)

27 Likes

Seems like depending on the artistic effect you want, they produce equally nice but different. The “emily” glass has smoother borders as looks more elegant, while the 20th glasses seem to have more defined edges and are a bit more pronounced. Thanks for showing the difference…

3 Likes

I just had to wipe drool off my iPad after showing this to my husband. Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes