Show and Tell

Ha ha ha what devious idea…maybe a random zombie or man eating shark or dinosaur

3 Likes

I saw the cat sticker, had to share these cat cookies! They were made for a couple as their wedding favors. Their last name was Katz.

22 Likes

Meep! Took a while to do that many! (I’ve flooded cookies before…once.) :wink:

4 Likes

I’m sure that you hear this all the time, but those are simply too cute to eat.

3 Likes

Just a random “yay, steampunk!”

(I’m a member of the Velveteen Band. We play a lot of Steampunk events, and in fact just arrived in Nevada for one. The whole community is amazing. So many makers and artists, supporting each others wildly conflicting interpretations of the idea. That’s unheard of, and deeply inspiring.)

(though, from a strict role-playing perspective, it does sort of bug me that I’ve never seen any rivalry between the airship pirates and the military or aristocratic characters whose airships they plunder. I often wonder if that sort of LARPing element would enhance or detract from the experience. Or whether it already happens in the vast reaches I’ve yet to explore)

Anyway, hi!

6 Likes

This is the two year anniversary of starting to build my latest airplane project. Considering the need to prioritize family and work over my hobbies, I am pretty amazed how far it has come in that time.

Here is how it started:

Here is what it looks like two years later:

I hope to have it inspected shortly and be flying it before the end of the year.

51 Likes

Yep! That one wins the prize for most useful hobby. Hands down. :smiley:

5 Likes

Building a plane from a kit or just drawings takes lots of time. I’m glad to see you’ve stuck with it and are ready for inspection. I’ve seen so many projects like this that are partially finished sitting in barns and workshops.

Hopefully, your inspection goes well and you will be flying soon.

6 Likes

As an old A&P I have a high respect for anyone capable of building their own bird.
Slick looking one there, Nice work!

5 Likes

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!!!

2 Likes

Fantastic job and nice perseverance to complete! Too bad it won’t fit through the pass-thru slot on the GF for some kewl personalization. :grin:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!

I did think about how I might have used the GF during the build of this one, and I came up with very little. The instrument layout is the one place where it would have been handy.

The entire airframe of this build is bare aluminum and I covered the exterior completely with vinyl. I have built a wood and fabric airplane in the past and the GF would have been EXTREAMLY handy for that one.

26 Likes

Awesome picture of the instrument panel. I was going to ask if you could post one, so you must have read my mind.

Are you an EAA member?

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite homebuilts. I’d make one if I had the time, money and room.
I want a demo of it’s STOL capabilities if you are ever in the deep south.

3 Likes

Yup! EAA member since 1991.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of the expanding use of tablets for aviation, but had no idea they had a place as an integral part of the instrument cluster!

1 Like

It is amazing how much advancement there has been over the past few years with regards to portable electronics in the aviation industry.

The software I am running is Garmin Pilot. I have it installed both on my tablet as well as on my phone as an emergency backup. A $400 tablet has replaced what just a few years ago would have cost $5000.

5 Likes

What a great project! Do you have a building that can accommodate it, or do you rent hangar space?
Did it come painted?

2 Likes

I built it in my garage for the most part. Final assembly was out at the hangar where it now lives. I decided to vinyl wrap the entire airframe, so the only paint is on a few steel parts that I wanted rust protected.

Here is a link to my blog which covers the entire build for anyone wanting a little (or a lot) more information: Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

27 Likes

I love how much faith your kids have in your building ability… :slight_smile:

9 Likes