Show and Tell

My day job is rather normal but for creative fun I run a company (http://encarded.com) that makes playing cards for the collector market. The Glowforge will be integral for making some highly customized limited edition items for my most discerning customers.

Here is the latest deck I did, which turned out quite well (pictures courtesy of my photographer friend Anthony).

33 Likes

man those look sleeeeek
do you do all the design yourself?

Very cool!!
Obviously, both you and your friend are professionals.

Thank you for sharing this with the community!

Im pasting more of your stuff from your site, because I really like em!

The cutback on this deck of cards is really cool!

15 Likes

Those cards are exceptionally beautiful! If this is your starting point, you’re going to do amazing things with your Glowforge.

Are those offset printed or something cooler? The designs are amazing!

Thanks for the comments and kind words! I started up the business about 5 years ago (via Kickstarter) and have sold about 35,000 decks of cards all over the world. Yes, I do all the design and have them printed by the US Playing Card Co or the Expert Playing Card Co.

Here is a limited edition item I did back in 2012, the first ever tuck box with laser cut designs. I want to get the Glowforge pumping out things like this asap. :wink:

22 Likes

that box is stunning.

Your work is fabulous. I have a friend who has a huge playing card collection. Seeing your work, I now understand why someone would become so addicted! They’re like works of art packed in works of art.

2 Likes

That is definitely the goal! I’ve always tried to explore different ideas and themes that result in usable cards that also have a lot more personality and visual appeal. There are some amazingly talented people in the playing card world these days, true artists in every sense.

1 Like

Agreed. Those are some gorgeous pictures of some gorgeous cards. Amazing work all around!

Wow. :no_mouth:

Ipad case I made as a prototype.
Made from millboard and plastazote and covered in Buckram linen. All the folding/closing bits are held together with neodememumumumumumumumum magnets.
Works well and is as tough as old boots.

Will have to find a way to make em purdy though.

10 Likes

I’m out of likes for today. I really love these. Brilliant, fun. I expect they’ll be a hit.

My father-in-law is a microbiologist and hard to buy for. He’s received several of these things. The soap dispenser in the kitchen is the common cold… we all know it, and we all wash our hands pretty well around there with a germ staring at us.

3 Likes

Very nice!
Good choice of materials, and those monster magnets are a great inclusion.

Thanks for sharing that!

1 Like

@joker, you posted pictures of some of your cards months ago that I loved. I’ve thought of them frequently since. You really do beautiful work.

1 Like

Thanks for that.
Material choice was really down to what I had as this is what I make my book conservation enclosures from.
I’ve just got into magnets and bloody love them. I use them wherever I used to use mechanical closures and they’re marvelous.
First discovered when I had to come up with an conservation/viewing enclosure for a copy of the Magna Carta and couldn’t physically hold the piece in place, but had to be restrained within the enclosure.

2 Likes

Yes, they are strong nough for that! In my shop I us them to keep associated tools with their equipment, like chuck keys and collet wrenches.

1 Like

use them for holding difficult materials like parchment in place for repairs too.

8 Likes