Show and Tell

Nice ipad holder!
My wife makes clam shell book display boxes and we are experimenting with how to cut all the bookboard pieces out on the laser.

Those magnets are an obsession of mine, and they are all over every steel surface in my office. They are useful inside the Glowforge to hold paper/cardboard down during cutting as well.

2 Likes

Wow. That’s some history. 13th Century copy or later?

Came for the case, liked for the mumbling of neodininumum. And the case. Liked for the case as well. :smiley:

Bananananana.

3 Likes

I need to source some of those!
I ripped mine out of old HDD’s.

1 Like

Didn’t realise this myself, but originally there where several copies of the Magna Carta drawn up and they were sent to be displayed in the major administative centres of England, London, Winchester, etc.
There are now only 4 copies left and this was one of those.
You want history, come see me, wasn’t so long ago I had Sir Edmund Hilary’s boots ( the ones he climbed Everest in) Sat on my kitchen table.
Damn were they heavy.

9 Likes

Where are you?
I get mine from http://www.first4magnets.com/
but they are a UK company.

2 Likes

I taught high school history for a few years. The students never could figure out why I got so excited about the big paper, as I would called it. And the boots? Amazing.

1 Like

Its just not a word the Human mouth was meant to utter.

2 Likes

U.S.
Thanks for the link.

The “Big Paper” is what made my country, and yours, a place of freedom for all.
Shame about the erosion, but still, we have the rights we have because of it.

2 Likes

You should be fine cutting them with the laser. I cut mine one a board cutter at the moment, but am hoping to do some of the work on the GF. I would suggest cutting slightly oversize and then planing back the edges to give a mitre joint. And always laminate where you can.

Just checked and they don’t seem to ship outside the EU.
If you really want some though I do have a Fedex account so you could order and I can forward them on at cost.
Drop me a PM.

1 Like

I’m not an artist, and some of you have AMAZING things to show off. The glowforge has been made for the masses, and you all are pretty generous. So I’ll share some of my stuff.

I’m more likely to fix, improve, or replace something that already is.

My brother’s old boat trailer, after he dumped the boat.

Rather than simply take it to a steel recycler, he gave it to me.

I designed what it could be, and then my husband and I learned and got help to turn it into this cargo trailer for camping and kayaks and hauling.

One of the features we didn’t love in our house was this spider haven “rock” fireplace. I snapped the picture after I had begun demolition.

The skills I learned in the remodel were varied. My Dad did most of the woodwork because I’m still a wood butcher; but I learned a bunch from watching and asking questions. My teachers didn’t see the vision, and frequently asked why I needed certain steps along the way.

I wanted the TV mounted, and I wanted the electronics on the shelf out of the way. I wanted minimal wires visible; but a way to get them around behind the walls if new tech came along that hadn’t fit with my original plans.

And third project I will share. I wasn’t in love with my back “deck” which was little more than a screened-in stoop.

It was, perhaps, fortunate that the supports were rotting and the whole thing started to sag and gave a lurch last August, because it allowed me to make this:

My stuff doesn’t begin to compare with @jkopel, @dhanvinddvs, @buschtrent, @shronimo, or any of you. Still, it’s what I have done, and I’m pleased with it.

My stuff is frequently derivative of somebody else’s brilliance, and sometimes has a bit of my own thinking incorporated.

I’m in awe of all the amazing things that you all do.

I think it was @morganstanfield who was saying that if you’re the smartest person in the room, you need to find a new room. I’ve found a room that I won’t need to leave for a good long time.

32 Likes

I’m just wondering if you hire out, and if I could afford the air-fare to get you here.

1 Like

And we are in awe of the amazing things you do. You may yet turn out to be the smartest person in the room. Talent has a way of coming out when given the chance, and looking at the quality of your work. You have an eye for detail that will serve you well.

1 Like

You all make me blush.

1 Like

AliExpress. Land of the neo-… neod… Rare Earth Magnets.

Shipping times suck if you’re in a rush, though.

4 Likes

"Good Artists Copy; Great Artists Steal."
So said Picasso (according to Steve Jobs, who may have stolen the line from T. S. Eliot :slight_smile: ).

Nice work nonetheless! The person how gets the job done, gets the credit. Or so it goes in my world of unfinished house projects…

4 Likes

That trailer conversion rocks!
Very nice room remodel! I have personal experience with that kind of project, that is pro work.
I have sanded/sealed our redwood deck 5times in 20 years. Been looking hard at composite materials.
Very impressive!

Thank you for sharing!

Edit; I have to disagree with you.
"Art - conveying spirit by means of matter."
Your spirit shines through your work. You qualify as an artist.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like