Show and Tell

I am going to try that, I plan to use epoxy with glow in the dark powder mixed in to fill the groves.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Very nice craftsmanship, technically and artistically! [quote=“daskeland, post:623, topic:1731”]
I constantly remind myself that the transformer is putting out between 2000 and 4000 volts with enough amperage to stop my heart forever
[/quote]

Little room in you mind for anything else… focus where it is required. Everything else is peripheral.
Bookmarked.

6 Likes

That is phenomenal, and very kind & selfless of you to post your process details! Many thanks, much appreciation…

I really wanted to try this…but this line gives me great pause: “I constantly remind myself that the transformer is putting out between 2000 and 4000 volts with enough amperage to stop my heart forever.”

5 Likes

That is an awesome setup! Have you had any issues with it tripping your breaker?
Have you tried anything besides wood? When (if my wife lets me) I make one, I want to try this with sand to make Fulgurites! :grin:

1 Like

Not a bad idea, I think a lightning discharge carries up to a billion volts.
Dwell long enough and you should get hot enough to fuse silica. Just not instantly.

1 Like

Shouldn’t trip your breaker as it is not a short circuit. The wood is a resistive path so the current should be low.

The Lichtenberg transformer is on a 15 amp circuit and does not trip the breaker. I do minimize the load on that circuit when I am frying wood. I dont think 4000 volts is enough to create a fulgurite. If you “need more power, Mr. Scott”, Amazon does have a 12,000 volt neon light transformer already wired and ready for about $60.

3 Likes

It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Very cool! Love the chaos pattern… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Crafting on a larger scale. Landscaping from the front to the back walkout basement. (My Wife’s Mother was greatly enjoying the struggle)
Before;

No plan other than a mental image, started at the bottom with a flat blade shovel and started sculpting stairs until it pleased my eye.
12 tons loaded with a forklift onto my truck (2 trips) unloading and every other movement was by hand.:cold_sweat:
With the stairs roughed in I started defining them with the planters.

After.
Took the summer, cladding the stairs was last, and each one took a day. The risers are 4 times the depth you can see.

A chisel and a 5 pound hand sledge.
The risers and stair treads cut with a 9" angle grinder with a 10" diamond blade.
All dry set except the pond.

That took the next summer… Nice place to have a beer!

43 Likes

That’s spectacular! I love it!

4 Likes

Yep! Spectacular is the right word. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Me using my glassblowing lathe

21 Likes

Wowzers! I’m speechless. It’s beautiful like you’d see in a landscaping magazine beautiful!

2 Likes

Who knew that glassblowing had been combined with lathing (is that a word?:yum:) . Now I want to see the finished project! :smiley:

4 Likes

So when can you make replacement tubes for the Glowforge…lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I love watching glass blowing…I used to “get in trouble” for using the bunsen burners and glass tubing in HS chem to make my own custom glass stirrers (Yeah back in the 70s and early 80s we used glass stir rods for our cocktails…lol)
I made horses, flowers and birds :grin:
My chem teacher loved me so he always looked the other way…

7 Likes

I had never realized a lathe could be employed in glass blowing.
Makes sense in that the glass has to be rotated to account for gravity. I’m with @MiniMouse - curious to see a product of the operation! I can imagine advantages with speed control, flattening pizza dough with rotation comes to mind.
Thank you for showing us!

5 Likes

@B_and_D_T, @Jules, @MiniMouse - thank you!
Every now and then, a project turns out even better than we imagined. This came with an education on how to transmit energy through sedimentary stone. It more readily cleaves along the sediment lines, to cut across them you have to hit it with authority.
Hard work, but I really enjoyed it. My wife is to thank for the before/during pictures… I never think of documenting the journey.
She comes out to observe, “you ever do this before?” No I reply. "You sure are good at it."
That goes to a point. The saying is “Jack of all trades, master of none”. In my experience a man that is good at one thing can be good at many.
I always figured, if it’s done by humans - I belong to that club. The only thing between you and the goal is the know-how. Sometimes the education is a little painful, but always worth it!
Besides, that’s how I got most of my tools. “Well, I’m going to need a diamond saw…”

14 Likes

:joy: That’s me to a T. My wife says I pick projects to match the tools I want. She’s sort of right but I always do at least one other project with the new toy (er, tool) so I’ve net saved money.

11 Likes

I thought I was the only one. Once I have it, it gets used though.

5 Likes