Show and Tell

That would be sweet!
Hehe, I foresee experimental lamination for a possible handle…
I would be inspired to try some of the creative joinery. The precision of a laser is going to allow detail that would have been very difficult!

1 Like

THIS, this I find to be major inspiration.

2 Likes

Holy cow. Something like this would be great as a centerpiece table or cake topper decoration at a birthday party with the the name and age of the fested wobbling about.

5 Likes

I was trying to figure out Gan Chi Mi /Mi Chi Gan until I realized it was sideways and Michigan :blush:

2 Likes

I run into a similar issue when I’m designing things for the Glowforge and I keep coming back that due to it’s precision we’ll be able to cut multiple layers of 1/4" and just layer them together to make our own laminate structures. We’ll even be able to put in registration holes in the multiple layers to keep them lined up. Some nice Walnut and/or Maple with Brass pins to line up the layers would look awesome IMHO.

5 Likes

I was born and raised in the U.P.
though I’ve lived in Minnesota for 25 yrs now. Still say I’m “from Michigan”

1 Like

If you interleave 1/8" and 1/4" hardwoods you can cut registration “locks” in any shape you want. Cut the locks out of 1/4" stock and the laminations out of 1/8".

7 Likes

I’m floored by the incredible talent on this topic.

3 Likes

It really surprises me how educational it’s been! All of the materials, technique, nimble minds and fingers on display!
I realized the spectrum of interests that had gathered here would represent a unique concentrated hive of creative ability - and it really needed a thread to find expression.
And Wow! That was a Bingo. Only because so many stepped up to offer themselves to the community.
Let’s just say I have been humbled by the expertise here! :open_mouth:

I have been part of other gracious communities, but this place feels like another room in my home.
Thank you everyone :heart:

9 Likes

What. The. Heck??? I LOVE THIS!! I want to hang out inside your mind.

3 Likes

Thanks for the nice comments (@Just-Maken-It, @Jules, @markevans36301, @marmak3261, @morganstanfield, @printolaser) and likes!

Here is a closeup of the man rowing.

For a full description on how to make this have a look here:
https://indukudesign.com/2016/06/26/whirligig/

41 Likes

Your work is so great! I love both the whirligig and rowing man. They both inspire me.

5 Likes

Great write up on your project, thank you for that!
Using the wind to automate that boatman is such a nice touch! :sunglasses:
Have you had any neighbors gathering in your yard to get a closer look?

3 Likes

Wow, now I am double impressed! Not just an epic build but the write up is entertaining on top of being instructive.
The talent the glowforge has pulled together for this forum will end up being the most important part of purchase.

5 Likes

That’s a huge part of why I haven’t cancelled and bought something else. You can’t buy that from foreign manufacturers :slight_smile:

11 Likes

OK, that is the most awesome thing I have seen today. Almost harry-potter-esque (we’ll pretend magic, not wind). Although I imaging trying to read that at night while driving by in a car, must be a challenge… Have to see some others you’ve done!

5 Likes

Driving me nuts that I don’t have a Glowforge. Trying to at least force myself to work on designs and work flows. Had an inspiration at the stop light yesterday and decided to try my hand at a vinyl sticker. So I did a Google image search and found loads of examples.

Didn’t see what I wanted to decided to roll my own. If @dan is fearless enough to post his stick figures, then I can try it out. Came up with this, just a freehand draw in Inkscape:

Had to go back and forth between Silhouette Studio and Inkscape to get all the details to cut correctly in outline. Understanding paths and shapes and what it all implies is complicated even for stick figures when you want to get a nice outline inside and out. I must say. Silhouette Studio understood my drawing better than I when it came to cutting:

It will look better on my pickup with the verticle back window.

22 Likes

And fine stick figures they are!
With every loss there is gain
The delay has given those of us new to CAD an opportunity to prepare :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I like to go around and “add” another figure to cars that have these…:grinning:

8 Likes

One of the “Kilroy” stickers for a stalker…

On adding things to another’s car, my brother-in-law saw a gas pump nozzle in the trash at the pump that had been replaced.
He comes in asking if I just got gas somewhere…? Tells me " look at your car."
When I saw that thing sticking out of the fuel tank I froze. Mouth hanging open… Trying to remember…No, no way did I do that… But…
Then he busts out laughing at the look on my face as my mind was doing tight circles.

Yeah, I owe him :smiling_imp:

23 Likes