Show and Tell

Ceramic

Thanks!

7 Likes

Took it easy this weekend, i see…Looks unbelievable! :relaxed:

6 Likes

Incredible talent on this thread! Lots of things I would like to make/build. I want click the likes (heart) on 900+ posts! I have a couple things some might like. The electric '85 RX-7 I converted is at:

http://www.evalbum.com/120

A sign I put together for our lake place in Washington State. I did not make the intarsia eagle or the letters, but I cobbled everything else together. :relaxed:

I did blank out the address line for obvious reasons. :^)

20 Likes

I forgot to say that I sold the RX-7 in 2010 to a guy named Jon in Portland. But the pictures on the site are mine and that’s me standing by my baby (15 years ago). I look the same today except a little grayer. - Rich

3 Likes

Very nice!
The job on the RX7 is great! Conversion to lithium will make it a different car!
Thank you for sharing that!

3 Likes

2 pieces of 1/8" Birch. I will mount a 1/2" thick round piece of pine to the back to make it sturdy and hold the time mechanism.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Neat idea, a personalized clock.

1 Like

I saw on this forum somewhere that someone had done some very nice work with Lichtenberg wood burning. I have had a 9000 volt neon sign transformer for years that I used for a Jacob’s ladder demonstration. So I decided to try it last weekend. Below is my first attempt:

I used two Tbl spoons of baking soda in a cup of warm water, and generously swabbed the plywood board. I had a screw into the board at opposite ends and attached a 16ga wires with alligator clips to the screws. Put on my goggles and got far away, checked the wiring and the ground a second time (check twice, connect once :sunglasses:) The burning did not take more than 30 seconds. I was not satisfied with the development of branches. The middle “veins” connected to quickly. Next time I will use less baking soda (less conductivity) or less voltage. I’d like to take a section like this:

Maybe fill the main “veins” with bright paint or glow resin for some drink coasters. - Rich

27 Likes

Ummm that wallpaper!!! <3 <3 <3

2 Likes

Beautiful! I would spend a lot of time in that kitchen. We recently remodeled our kitchen, and I consider it gorgeous. It is nothing as bold as this. Well done. - Rich

1 Like

Fun with electricity!
Mandelbrot art in seconds. Thanks for sharing your technique and time!
I like the idea of the embellished scars like the picture frame earlier in this thread… post #611, by @daskeland

3 Likes

That’s it! Post #611. Thank you for reminding me. That is a great example of what I would like to imitate. - Rich

3 Likes

Dave, I wouldn’t say seconds, but the anyone with a little electrical savvy and patience can create some very cool organic designs in wood. Filling the waiting-for-Glowforge time, I have experimented extensively with generating high-voltage (4000 volts) “Lichtenberg” etchings in an effort to control the randomness, scaled down the pattern, and keep from destroying the detail. Instead of large scale, deeply burn patterns, I add to picture frames, I am making pendants like pictured below. I now see Lichtenberg-like fractal patterns everywhere: in lightning, in water erosion (Google Earth), in Caribbean coral, even in the veins of fall leaves. Trying to manipulate this natural phenomenon has been interesting. Explaining how it works has been very challenging.

39 Likes

My second biggest epiphany in my adult life is that most everything in nature is fractal in one way or another.

8 Likes

Those pendants are stunning!

3 Likes

These are great!

2 Likes

Those are great. What are you using for the clear and colored fill?

1 Like

Wow!
Love the acrylic(?) or resin see through! Very creative.
Quite the challenge, reigning in that extreme power that tends to express itself randomly. I can see by the results that you have been enjoying the journey! The random nature, influenced by degree of conductivity, the result is a surprise!
No two the same, very nice Sir! Thank you for showing your work! :

1 Like

First off those are beautiful examples of Lichtenberg burned wood art. Great work.

Ok now I put on my safety engineer hat. When I showed my first (humble) example of Lichtenberg wood burning and explained briefly how I did it (Show and Tell #968), I didn’t explain a lot of things people should know if they are going to try this. You should not play with any voltage over 50 volts unless you know what you are doing. My transformer puts out 9000 volts (AC!) at 30 mA. 30 mA is not a lot, but it is enough to stop your heart from functioning properly and die. Most wire that one can purchase from stores is insulated for 300 or 600 volts NOT 1000’s of volts. The whole setup I use is put outside mounted on a wooden box. The transformer case is grounded, and I have a fire extinguisher handy. I plug the transformer in from 15 feet away and when I view the burning I wear goggles.

Niels Bohr once said, “An expert is somebody that has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.” I guess I am not quite an expert yet, but I am close. :anguished:

There are lots of pictures of Lichtenberg type patterns online (try Google Images). Better to grab a picture, size it, put it on what you want and engrave it with your GF. Easier and safer than fooling around with HIGH VOLTAGE…buzzzit. - Rich

Edit: Most of this post was for the those who might want to try Lichtenberg wood burning, not @daskeland.

14 Likes

You are right Rich. Safety is absolutely first. I am amazed that some of the makers of Youtube videos about burning Lichtenberg patterns lived to post their video. Incidentally, to reduce charring and soot on small detailed work, I use tap water with nothing added to increase the electrolytic properties. Plain water doesn’t work well with all woods, but it provides me better results with cedar, which I prefer for color and grain.

7 Likes