Show and Tell

that’s perspective for you. also see: don’t take portraits with a wide angle.

looks great, dude. lots of hard work.

2 Likes

Very nice!
I put the same floor in our kitchen last year.

2 Likes

Nice job. How are the knees and back? :tired_face:

3 Likes

It’s gorgeous!..and was a lot of work. I’m a huge fan of taking photos of before, after, and in between. It makes it fun and easy to see a transformation and to revel in all that it took to get it finished.

4 Likes

Knees and back where fine until my brother says he set counters with 4 100 lb concrete buckets and because labor is free I had to Cary them across the parking lot and up a flight of stairs

16 Likes

That’s a nice upgrade!

1 Like

yesss basement tomatoes producing:

the SO likes to keep the orchids and a few other plants (lime tree, also has limes atm, rosemary, some other things) happy during the winter with a big-&^% light. Round about the middle of October, I noticed a tomato plant growing in the gutter of our shed. Clearly a snot-nosed little squirrel stole a ripe tomato, took a bite, and left the rest to grow in the gutter (it’s blocked a lot in the fall because it sits beneath a giant maple).

brought it in when it was about six inches high and potted 'er up. it’s pretty huge now.

not bad for the middle of wintry ontario haha

40 Likes

Not bad! Tomatoes in Winter…they look real nice too. Hmmm…now I’m hungry. - Rich

2 Likes

care to show your grow setup ?

1 Like

What kind of big-&^% light do you use?

1 Like

I am using BML grow max spectrum in my garden, the vendor has re branded and upgraded sense then but I’m happy. this is a link to the current product that replaced the one I have
https://fluence.science/technology/ray/

7 Likes

Although this was made on a Glowforge I did not have a particular place to put this pic. It’s just a simple piece of wood I cut to serve as a cross beam to attach my web cam to. I did have a duct taped billiards bridge as the cross piece and taped the web cam to it.

Now it can hang and as it is narrow for the gap it hold well and I can position it where I want. I use a binder clip to hold it on. The whole support structure is a a wooden TV table caddy that does a great job for keeping the camera overhead for things especially on the Glowforge so I don’t have to get up to see into the bed. I have on screen during prints.

Making practical items like this is so cool. Like the bookshelf. One tool. It’s done.

28 Likes

I would but there’s not much to see right now, just some regular old pots and a light and my cluttered basement lol.

but we use a 1kW metal halide bulb iirc, not sure of the brand. upgrading to LEDs is less of a cost effective upgrade at this level, though i’m sure i’ll make the jump some day (in the winter i don’t care too much). it comes on at night when power is cheapest and runs for approximately 8 to 10 hours.

1 Like

Cool. We kept a tomato going a long time ago for about 4 years. In then the spidermites just took too much of a toll on it and out to the compost it went (it was so nicely loaded the first fall that we just couldn’t let it freeze, and it just stayed indoors for much longer than expected). Wish I had taken some pics occasionally (before all the digital cameras floating around everywhere now).

2 Likes

I made some cheap grow lights from red and blue LED strips lights for my aquaponics setup, They worked really good, I’ll see if I can dig up the info.

2 Likes

There’d be pics but he doesn’t want to show off his…errr uhm…carrots. His carrot plants…

24 Likes

in all seriousness i’ve given a lot of thought to indoor cultivation of root vegetables and ive come to the conclusion that it simply isn’t worth it.

2 Likes

My wife wanted to grow Orchids, but the texas heat beating down on our old house with only window unit A/C usually kills them. We’re going to try Lavender from seed this year.

7 Likes

Got the wife an Aerogrow and it is great for fresh herbs, but it seems silly to grow veggies.

Some leafy veggies might work, but fruit bearing just seems too much work for so little harvest.

yeah i used to own one several years ago and came to the conclusion that it should really be called basil garden. grows that stuff well, everything else is kind of a crapshoot. but it’s pretty easy to grow things in pots (i don’t have a hydro setup at the moment) with a supplemental light source if you’re interested.

just need to remember to pollinate the tomatoes, say, unless your house is full of bees. :smiley:

lavender grows really well. something you might consider if you want to try orchids again - they may do okay if you provide some degree of shade during the hottest parts of the year. it’s funny how something can be tropical but not want, like, maximum sum.

4 Likes