Show and Tell

A majority of glass colors are made with metals;p
Ruby glass = Gold
green glass = iron
red glass = copper
purple glass = manganese
white glass = was lead
blue glass = cobalt

Much of the borosilicate glass that has a lot of color change in it has germanium dioxide, and if it looks like rainbows inside of clear, it is likely fumed gold or silver.

I won’t be mixing up my own glass colors though, far too much ventilation and torch heat needed to get a good mix;p

6 Likes

Interesting. thank you. Isn’t borosilicate what the old Pyrex was? diffefent color.

1 Like

A gift from my Daughter, I have marveled at how this was accomplished.

I think I had it for a couple of months befor I realized the chunk imbedded was cobalt glass. Such skill in manipulating hot glass!

I envy your skill.

24 Likes

new computer

(I need to find my camera the cell phone is junk)

needed a game computer upgrade. so I got my self a new mobo/cpu/gpu and decided it was time to bring back the water cooling

2017 - full computer picture cant find on my phone - I will update when I get situated later

the darkness in the purple has turned almost clear (created ticket with primochill its only been 3-4 weeks) also UV’s not mounted cant find a good Velcro to stick on the top alum

previous build

2008 3 way sli

2008 2 way sli and mobo cooled

21 Likes

Wow! Nice rig! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is beautiful and inspiring.

Question: I need a new computer for my home to do design work on instead of lugging my PC back and forth. Budget: $2,000. Roll my own or get something already built. I’ve replaced mobos before and all the different parts of a computer but never started from scratch. I have some kick ass acrylic and a Glowforge to manufacture the case.

1 Like

You will spend less to just buy one but you’ll get exactly what you want to build. So six of, half dozen, other…
If you want a hot video board for Fusion, build.

3 Likes

MOBO - this is a water cooling mobo this is way way more then you need
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z270 ATX Motherboard
$389.99
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
$349.99
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 (PC4 34100) Desktop $289.99

gtx1080 - way, way, way more then you need $550

and that’s it that’s a computer just around a 1,500 bucks for really high end pre built for the same specs would cost much more

as you can see I re used my power supply and case and I did not need to get any storage I got SSD’s a while back

you could do the maximus ix code or hero and a 1060 vid

2 Likes

The other option could be a gaming laptop, I have a MSI GT-72 Dominator Pro and I use it for gaming and design, just flawless. Price varies depending on the parts you want on it. Asus has a gaming line too and both are cheaper than Alienware.

I use it at home with an external screen and mouse/keyboard.

1 Like

Oh I almost forgot… Now we switched to the 3-Axis Full Flight Simulator so here is the 787’s HUD pic.

It’s a snowy day in Seattle International Airport :sweat_smile: (HUD display is fully functional, not a simulated image)

And here I am with my Captain, it was a great day!

35 Likes

I am in awe…and quite impressed! Thanks for sharing your photos.

3 Likes

My pleasure! I’m glad you like it :smiley:

Actually, cockpits are more and more like a videogame. The bad thing about it is that the screens show so much information and sometimes is complicated to deal with it, but with proper training it turns out to be a good thing.

Thank you for your kind words. I usually try not to think about the fact that we have the lives of so many people in our care, but so it is.

9 Likes

How is the Gerwalk mode coming along?

:yum:

1 Like

Exactly what markevans36301 said. I’ve always built my own, but it made more sense when I started. It’s kinda habit. You shouldn’t need $2k unless you’re really into flight simulators or maybe VR. I second Clone, go SSD over HDD whether you buy or build.

I’m assuming you know that the socket type of the CPU you pick has to match the socket on the motherboard.

2 Likes

No kidding. The F-35 has a 360 degree helmet projection system with integrated images from all the sensors. You look through the floor of the aircraft or any direction your head can turn. Can’t really fly it without the helmet. Doesn’t even have a HUD.

10 Likes

Yeah, only problem is the helmets cost about the cost of a high-end Ferrari and are fairly fragile… And because it’s so heavy makes ejection more dangerous and slams into the canopy on high-G turns…

Here is the math from AirForceTimes: If each helmet costs $400,000 and each of the 2,400 F-35s has a pilot, the bottom line cost for helmets is $960 million — not taking into account that pilots retire and are replaced by pilots with different-sized heads.

6 Likes

The heads of test pilots are all pretty darn big. At least 90% of those I’ve worked with.

16 Likes

Yeah, my college roommate’s dad was one of the original test pilots for the apache. He was a former vietnam era huey pilot. Having survived multiple shoot-downs in vietnam and crashes as a test pilot, it seemed one needed a lot of swagger and self-confidence to be getting back into the cockpit… But his “home videos” of test-flights were amazing…

11 Likes

Occupational hazard, a few are pretty cool though.

1 Like