Show and Tell

That’s really nice work! The carbon fiber looks gorgeous. But those styrofoam skills…

3 Likes

I’d be very interested in how you modeled this if you are inclined to share.

1 Like

Once you have a fundamental grasp of the software, amazing how differently you see things. You want to model them for fun.

3 Likes

I hope this makes sense with the screenshot. I used the Loft command for the main shape of the housing. This entails setting up multiple sketches in a “layered” fashion, the items labeled Profile 1, Profile 2, Profile 3, Profile 4. You’ll also note each sketch is on its own plane, and those have to be created before you can make the sketches. The sketches need to be closed shapes.

You’ll also see the items labeled "Rail."These are Guide Rails. They help to quickly refine the shape of the loft. You dont absolutely need them, however relying solely on the sketches to determine the shape will give some odd results (wavy, uncontrollable surfaces). You can spend hours tweaking the sketches and plane locations trying to smooth out the model, but put Guide Rails in there and suddenly the beast is tamed. Two tricky aspects to guide curves though is they absolutely must intersect the sketches, and they must be continuous curves, no sharp corners. Guide rails can, however, be open shapes.

Something else to note on this particular model in the screenshot is this is only half of it. Sometimes some of the parametric model computations get tricky and it can slow things down, particularly when you go make edits further up the command timeline, and go to regenerate the full model. It has to think and run through all the steps again, and sometimes it bogs down and crashes. So, I will often split the model in half then mirror it, so there is less computing that has to happen.

9 Likes

Thanx so much. So much to unpack in just a couple of paragraphs so I’ll come back several times to absorb it all.
While I use mirror, I would have never thought to use it here. Also, I have used loft a fair amount but without rails. I MUST get in and learn to use rails effectively.

1 Like

The curves aren’t so bad - I use a different technique for the smaller ones, and the bigger ones are big enough that they’re not much different than sewing a straight line (in terms of easing the seam allowance to fit).

Some of the parts would have sure been easier if I’d had a laser to make some acrylic templates! I have a few other quilt plans on hold until I have my glowforge to cut out pieces and/or templates :grin:

3 Likes

You will really like the GF for that–it cuts acrylic like butter and you can engrave your own custom markings on it.

1 Like

Throwing around another idea for a custom headlamp assembly…

Here’s a photo of the car project in progress for folks that may not have seen the madness.

34 Likes

Going to be interesting to see the “after” shots on that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That light assembly is art man. :+1:

3 Likes

Hahaha! This cracks me up!

Diggin the fabrication process posts btw. Keep us updated on the build!

11 Likes

I saw that too! Ha.

1 Like

LOL, inadvertent watermark/logo placement :wink:

3 Likes

:grin: I have a hard time throwing things away, even the silly piece of paper. Hahaha!

Thanks! I give the credit to Fusion 360, they’re really stepping up the render engine!

5 Likes

Earlier this week, I posted pictures of my new workshop Workshops/Workspaces - #203 by Just-Maken-It

Here is my newest piece of equipment I just added to the shop.

Just toys to keep me occupied before GF arrives and to help make things after.

29 Likes

Another tool for me to drool over. I definitely could not get away with that in my apartment.

2 Likes

That’s the reason I have to buy a new workshop as these woodworking tools are just to messy and noisy to have in the house or apartment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless I could find a nearby self-store with sufficient electrical, I wouldn’t have much chance right now.

Yep they are, messy but they are fun. Congratulations on the new toy, all the lathe chisels are the expensive parts.

2 Likes

I got this set for my HF lathe, and they seem to be working quite well. Less than $20

4 Likes