Sierpinski Carpet Experiment

Quick and dirty Sierpinski carpet (level 4) cut.

This is what I started with:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Sierpinski_carpet_4.svg

…but I lost patience trying to manipulate the SVG file in Inkscape to define the cuts so I made a bitmap image and outlined that. So, don’t look too carefully at the tiny square cutouts. :sunglasses:

Sierpinski_carpet_box.svg.zip (5.1 KB)

About 8 minutes using PG draftboard as a 3.5" square.

22 Likes

I don’t fancy walking over that in the bathroom.

John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Makes me want to try a Sierpinski triangle next. :bulb:

5 Likes

Thanks for introducing me to a whole new world!

2 Likes

Did someone already stack something like that for a cube?

Yes they did. The next step being the Menger sponge! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thank you for the file.

1 Like

Exactly that - I have a a tetris SVG, but figured I ought to try the menger first!

Interesting fact - many antenna designs in mobile devices are Sierpinski Carpets, for all kinds of cool maths reasons…

4 Likes

Outside the realm of this group, but I think a hooked Sierpinski Carpet as a carpet would be really cool!

I wouldn’t count that out here - there are many crafters with quilting, embroidery, and hooking (the rug kind) backgrounds. (@ptodd comes to mind - I know she does some beautiful embroidery. Maybe @cynd11 too, she made a favorite nightshirt for me a couple years ago…I still use it.) :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the link … and the file. Very cool!

@Jules In fact … it kind of reminds me of Hardanger Embroidery! Which I haven’t done … but, is on my “to do” list!

7 Likes

I still have the hooked rug I made in highschool sitting in front of my bed.
Doing the foreground was fun but doing the background was enough that I never went there again.

2 Likes

I’d gotten the special punch needle for it once…never got around to doing it though…it’s probably still somewhere in the craft room upstairs. :slightly_smiling_face:

That was what I used. It was very much faster than using a hook but I think a CNC version would make it much better.

2 Likes

Mind reader !

1 Like

Think Embroidery machine only REALLY BIG

I have a need to be able to create lacey edges to some of my fan leaves, so I’m shipping my cnc, and several steppers over with my worldly goods.
Going to have to rebuild it with snap on heads, as there’s a lot of things that it’s going to be used for!

3 Likes

To make silk fans with embroidered designs would be really awesome, but there are some issues that cannot be addressed in an Svg and special software would be needed and is available widely as embroidery machines are as popular as 3d printers, I am not sure how a rug making needles would be useful for fans as they are two sided and rugs are distinctly one sided (so is embroidery but I think that could be worked around)

However a gantry style CNC made for cutting full (or half) sheets of plywood could be modified for such work on useable rugs and tapestries. however I think you would need to modify both the head and the base to hold the rug tight. After which I don’t think it would be very useful for other work.

1 Like

Modify is my middle name !

1 Like

Please share pictures of your progress in both machine modification and results. still not Laser work but is certainly covered in “everything else”

1 Like