Sierpinski Carpet Experiment

I wouldn’t count that out here - there are many crafters with quilting, embroidery, and hooking (the rug kind) backgrounds. (@ptodd comes to mind - I know she does some beautiful embroidery. Maybe @cynd11 too, she made a favorite nightshirt for me a couple years ago…I still use it.) :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the link … and the file. Very cool!

@Jules In fact … it kind of reminds me of Hardanger Embroidery! Which I haven’t done … but, is on my “to do” list!

7 Likes

I still have the hooked rug I made in highschool sitting in front of my bed.
Doing the foreground was fun but doing the background was enough that I never went there again.

2 Likes

I’d gotten the special punch needle for it once…never got around to doing it though…it’s probably still somewhere in the craft room upstairs. :slightly_smiling_face:

That was what I used. It was very much faster than using a hook but I think a CNC version would make it much better.

2 Likes

Mind reader !
John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Think Embroidery machine only REALLY BIG

I have a need to be able to create lacey edges to some of my fan leaves, so I’m shipping my cnc, and several steppers over with my worldly goods.
Going to have to rebuild it with snap on heads, as there’s a lot of things that it’s going to be used for!

3 Likes

To make silk fans with embroidered designs would be really awesome, but there are some issues that cannot be addressed in an Svg and special software would be needed and is available widely as embroidery machines are as popular as 3d printers, I am not sure how a rug making needles would be useful for fans as they are two sided and rugs are distinctly one sided (so is embroidery but I think that could be worked around)

However a gantry style CNC made for cutting full (or half) sheets of plywood could be modified for such work on useable rugs and tapestries. however I think you would need to modify both the head and the base to hold the rug tight. After which I don’t think it would be very useful for other work.

1 Like

Modify is my middle name !

1 Like

Please share pictures of your progress in both machine modification and results. still not Laser work but is certainly covered in “everything else”

1 Like

A lace making robot to tie little knots at specific distances and keep everything properly tight boggles the mind both in hardware and software. I suppose an embroidery machine working on a material that could dissolve away after could get close.

The grandmother of an ex-girlfriend became one of those unaccompanied minors escaping from 1917 Russia to New York only to never find the family she was supposed to meet up with and so became employed in lace making by hand for forty years and I met her in her nineties when she explained how they did it.

1 Like

I learnt to make Honiton lace more than a few years ago, so that I could design fan patterns for lace makers, then sell them fan sticks that I made.
But that was another life !
The Nottingham Lace Museum also gave me free reign to take the covers off Heathcoar’s original bobbin net machine, when they discovered that I knew more about it than they did !
I had considered redesigning it specifically for fan leaves, but that was before I discovered the world of CNC.

3 Likes

That must feel like the armor maker who went into an armor museum and saw a suit of “original Medieval armor” and had to point out the maker’s mark he had put in when he made it.

I have been there sort of when talking to Antique Glass dealers, They usually have very little knowledge of how it was actually made and being able to recognise what was done was much fun, but that was a very different level.

3 Likes

Had to take my Sierpinski Carpet Experiment from level “4” to level “5”. One more set of extra-tiny holes. The precision of the Glowforge laser continues to amaze me! :sunglasses:

Sierpinski_carpet_5_img

Used GP medium draftboard with ~30 minute cut time. Removing the paper backing is tedious but 100% of the holes show perfectly now.

11 Likes

WOW. That looks amazing

1 Like

Now that would make an interesting tea candle light! Did you engrave or cut to get those. I have had issues cutting much larger holes. :frowning_face:

All cuts. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@rbtdanforth: If you look at the SVG file you may detect some “cheating” on my part. The original level-5 SVG file was this…

However the Glowforge GUI chokes on that. I ended up making a screen-shot of that, importing that bitmap into Inkscape, and then converting same into a path. If you look carefully you can see that some of the tiny square cut-outs are not so “square”. But once cut those imperfections are undetectable.

One day “Real Soon Now” (when I have “Lots of Free Time”) I’m going to write a Perl script to directly generate the SVG file in a form that Glowforge likes better—just lots of square boxes of varying sizes. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

If you want to go “3D” with a Sierpinski Pyramid check this out…

3 Likes