Sign for the hobbit hole

I made a little sign for my hobbit hole. Actually, I made two, but the other one is a wee bit political so I’m not showing it here.

Here it is in place:

35 Likes

Show us the political one but blur it with a spoiler tag. I must know who bilbo wants to win

5 Likes

You asked for it:

7 Likes

Lol I don’t know my elvish well enough here.

9 Likes

That scene is soooooo cute!

2 Likes

So stinkin cute!! I love the brick border around the door!

2 Likes

I need to learn Elvish…something I never thought I’d have to do.

I think my brain melted a little bit. I don’t get it yet…So far everything looks like a bunch of “p,” “m,” and "y"s put together… Need more coffee and more reading:

4 Likes

I have recently been watching a YouTube channel dedicated to Old English and other such linguistic fun in the British Isles. Simon Roper posted a video reading two OE poems from about a thousand years ago. I had to go look up the poems and their provenance. That led me to the word “calque” It’s always a thrill to learn a new world, but it comes with the sense of shame for not having registered this word before. I understood the dynamic and have worked through the process in learning lots of languages, and I fight with it every day with the ongoing liturgical translation wars in the church, but I didn’t have the word before.

In explaining calque, it was mentioned that JRR Tolkien’s use of the name Bag End for Bilbo’s house. It is a calque for the French cul de sac . Tolkein’s way of poking fun at the French penchant for calques rather than loan words to keep up the purity of the language.

And now @cynd11 posts a hobbit hole today. Serendipity.

8 Likes

And I learned a new word today!

2 Likes

That’s a great word…and one I just learned today, also…riding on your coattails. Thank you!

2 Likes

This is so downright adorable!

2 Likes

I have been exposed to several languages from Hawaiian, to French, Spanish, and Latin but was never competent in any of them as rote memory was always my weakest suit But now folks have everything from Quenya to Klingon and don’t speak the same language in English :crazy_face:

1 Like

I love your imagination.

2 Likes

Yay. Love this.

2 Likes