Silicone Material for Glowforge

24 Likes

I’ve engraved it…but cant cut through more than 1/16"

8 Likes

Hmmmm…how does that compare to vegan grade silicone? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Similar to these Silicone Bracelets? (I googled Laser/ Engraving silicone)

2 Likes

Hey is your silicone colored or clear? I haven’t tried any yet, so don’t know if color changes absorption, but most of mine are flesh, blue or red, and I will need to try liver-brown. I’m using the SilPig colorants from Smooth-On.

3 Likes

Here is some info from a cut test I did on silicone:

5 Likes

Which silicone were you using? I have mostly been using DragonSkin 10 and Ecoflex 0050. I sometimes use MoldMax XLS II

2 Likes

That was on Mold Star 15

1 Like

If anyone finds a source for food-grade silicone sheets about 1/8" thick, please post. Variable colors would be a big bonus! I have a gasket I’d like to try making when the time comes.

2 Likes

McMaster-Carr is one source if you are in the States:

2 Likes

I don’t need an organ but a piano would be great! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

So while I couldn’t get to lasering due to some issues, I have whipped up 2 new silicones for those who like silicone stuff.

One I am trying to make inexpensive ultrasoundable silicone models. These are based currently on the Ecoflex 0020 (maybe will try 0010 if it’s too dense still) as the 0050 we normally use for flesh is too dense. So as you can see I am using batteries to make holes in the silicone pour to simulate blood vessels (I will pull them out in the morning) and then fill with water with some dragonskin 10VF to make good targets for the ultrasound (air doesn’t transmit). I’d like to say the battery that fell over was deliberate to make a sideways blood vessel, but one of my dev team members bumped the table… If this works we will cast a real artery in the real test mold (this was a failed print I had sitting around)

Second (which I can’t reveal the chemistry yet, until it’s published) is my fantasy of making electrically conductive silicone. You can have it any color as long as it’s poop… One my my colleagues from colorectal surgery commented, it’s poop and not even healthy looking poop… Interestingly the additives I am using, seem to prevent the bubbles from escaping like normal. This is Dragon Skin 10VF

15 Likes

I’m going to suggest not using batteries to make arteries in this kind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha. Those batteries are actually all dead, as I was planning on walking them down to the battery recycling box in the hospital, but I was looking around for some non-stick round things that wouldn’t float…

Does it cure that color/consistency? :hushed:

You can always use failed batches in some diapers and sell as novelty/gag gifts ! :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Is “dead” for your batteries actually dead, or just under 0.8V?

Either the pager has the open battery symbol and starts beeping (and before someone raises it, yes we still use pagers, yes that seems archaic but it does things you can’t easily do with a smartphone - including survive radiation exposure, work in the boiler rooms 2 stories underground with shielded walls, etc - and yes we are high tech and know what we are talking about) or the mouse was blinking where it was insufficient to maintain mouseness (using @Dan’s terminology). So they are likely functionally dead, and not electrically dead…

3 Likes

OK, so mid-day awesomeness report. For those of you occasional silicone users, did you know you can pour and cure silicone on top of water? So this morning, had 10 minutes to get this ready, keeping the block in the mold, pulled the batteries out. Poured DragonSkin 10VF silicone in a thin layer of the holes made by the batteries, immediately filled the holes up with water used a paper towel to get the meniscus below the top layer, then poured the remainder of the silicone on top of the water. 10 minutes later:

Then off to the interventional radiology suite for testing:

For comparison my bicep (the round hole is my cephalic vein); note all the “stuff” (yes, that is the term we learned in anatomy) in the arm. The next issue is getting stuff into our silicone.

How many interventional radiologists does it take to stick a needle in a phantom?

Here is what it looks like on the outside

Here is the view via ultrasound with the needle advanced into the lumen of the Duracell-Artery

Now it turns out that my silicone is too “clean” and there isn’t enough speckle. So I am adding a layer of crap on top (DragonSkin 10VF with a bunch of different powders in it to see if that makes it more like my arm).

What’s cool is the commercial phantoms we buy which look sort of like my block are around $500, and we expect to make these in the <$15 range internally…

20 Likes

can you apply a vacuum to it? that might get the bubble out. coupled with some vibration?

In other silicones probably not an issue, but the “VF” stands for VERY FAST (all caps deliberate) because it cures insanely fast. As in be reeeeeeaaaaaally ready to go once you mix. It is completely hard in 10 minutes. Mis-En-Place is your total friend. Just doing the paper towel was stressful.

This is also just a throw away test today to try and match the densities. For real, the water is in a closed-loop pump system so the blood is flowing (actually pulsing since I use an Adafruit feather controlled peristaltic pump to produce pulsatile flow)

2 Likes