Silk Ribbon Holder

I love dyeing silk & animal fiber (wool, mohair, etc). My hand dyed ribbons have lots of character but they don’t show well in most packaging; I want the buyers to see what they are getting. The ribbons must also be easy to remove and restock. Here is my solution:

This will be secured to a wire mesh grid with the upper holes. It displays 10 ribbons at a time. The varieties can be displayed without having all the ribbon out all the time.

It’s just a simple rack, but it states material, amount and price while keeping things accessible and tidy. I think it will do a good job of “come hither” to the buyers.

38 Likes

I like it! The ribbons are gorgeous. Do you clean out the holes before using? If so, what works best for you? I’ve tried lots of things and am not happy with any of them, really.

8 Likes

I’d recommend acrylic to prevent any cut residue that might discolor your excellent ribbons.

9 Likes

This one is made of birch ply; I did sand and make sure there were no snags. I used 91% alcohol to clean up–there was a lot of soot.

2nd one I made (not pictured; it’s for 1/2" ribbon) was from draftboard. Almost no cleanup needed, and I spray painted it as well.

@evansd2 that’s a good idea, I just need to make sure I don’t break it during handling making a sale. Hmmm, I might make some half-size holders which will be stronger, and I’ll have more “come hither” flowy ribbons hanging around my booth.

11 Likes

1/4” cast acrylic is really strong stuff at your scale….

7 Likes

Those colors are stunning!

9 Likes

maybe increase your odds against breaking it by using 1/4" acrylic

6 Likes

Such wonderful colors!

8 Likes

Wow! They’re beautiful! Think they’ll sell through very quickly! Great way to display them.

8 Likes

Your ribbons are beautiful and your ribbon holder is a great idea!

7 Likes

Thank you; I would dye every day if I could! :grin:
@ptodd and @Helene , thank you.

6 Likes

they are beautiful!

5 Likes

This is a great practical item, your ribbons definitely say come hither, they are absolutely gorgeous!

5 Likes

Thank you; I think there’s a sweet spot between fiber arts and laser work that is just waiting to be found.

4 Likes

I love your ribbons, and I think your display card is brilliant!

2 Likes

That’s an oxymoron!