Simple 1/4" bit holder

I have had a messy pile of assorted 1/4" screw driver bits rattling around in a drawer, and finally made this to help organize them.

It’s dead-simple, and if I find time I’ll probably make it a bit nicer/more complex, but it’s better than nothing, so maybe someone else will appreciate it :smiley:

It’s two parts – I cut it from baltic birch, and used 1/4" for the part with the hex holes, but 1/8" for the backing so it would fit with tall bits in a thin toolbox drawer.

I just tossed two chunks of scrap in the GF, and cut them both with 1/4" BB settings (the 1/8" cut just fine, obviously slower than it would have with 1/8" speeds, but faster than dealing with two cuts, and this way the parts are still in my design history as a single “print”).

flat_bit_holder

38 Likes

Useful, practical design, I have that collection in a corner of a drawer too! Thanks for sharing that. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

thanks! I’ll see if my husband needs this!

7 Likes

Simple, but very practical. I have my bits stored in some plastic bins and have to hunt each time I need a bit. I think I will make one of these. Thanks for sharing. It’s amazing all the things we can make with our Glowforge if we just think.

4 Likes

If it’s helpful, they should be 2.5"x5", so if you need more space, you can rotate the backing plates, and glue them up so the parts overlap, doubling the size (or tile things like bricks and just keep on going… you’d need to cut some half-sized fillers, though, and the odd-number of rows on the long dimension makes that a bit less than ideal… but if you need storage for more than 132 bits in one drawer you have my sympathy…)

6 Likes

Nice! We love organization projects.

7 Likes

This is great! Thanks so much for the share!

3 Likes

I’ve made a couple and add a layer of 5mm craft foam on top which holds the bits a little more securely:

5 Likes

Great! Just bought a bunch of new drill bits on Prime Day.

3 Likes