Simple Cardboard Cone Light

Hi everyone!

I’ve been exploring a lot of light designs using cardboard as the primary material. A lot of my initial cardboard lamp projects were complex in their design and took a while to laser cut and assemble every piece. So, I thought, how could I make a simple cardboard light, but introduce a design element to make it visually complex and interesting?

For this project, I decided to make a simple cardboard cone light that’s based on the pendant lights you typically see over a kitchen counter. It’s a small lampshade with an opening large enough for a light fixture base to be installed. The light bulb is LED to reduce the amount of heat that it emits. Lastly, I decided to rotate every layer of cardboard to redirect the light passing through the corrugations, which creates a beautiful twisting effect.

Here are some photos of the project. Let me know what you think and if you’re interested in learning more about how it was designed and made, here’s a link to my YouTube video.

Have fun designing and making!
Tim Ung

50 Likes

I really like the twisted effect there! That is pretty cool.

3 Likes

That is a pretty, twisted, design :upside_down_face: I like it!

3 Likes

I am a fan of all of your designs. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate it :grin:

Love this innovative approach! Seems like cardboard has design possibilities that have not been fully explored.

1 Like

I like this and I have access to a **** ton of cardboard.

2 Likes

Haha yes, I’ve been hearing that from a lot of Glowforge owners who see these cardboard lamps. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

That’s cool. I love how the light shines through.

2 Likes

Excellent functional design with an ordinary material normally thrown away. The rotational twist makes it! :star_struck:

3 Likes