Simple engraving with Glowforge trial art

Just a simple little project where I made a hinged box out of two-toned 1/8” acrylic I got for a real deal at BF Plastics. The granite layer engraves down to a gold layer. This might be the first time I’ve used the art in the Glowforge trial, and boy is it handy. I like not having to search online for suitable graphics then even if they are free I still have to join the hosting service.

Update: forgot to specify that it was the Doxie that came from GF, the leafy frame came from somewhere else).

32 Likes

Very nice! What are you using as the pin for your hinge? I cannot make it out.

5 Likes

Nice result. I agree that the art in the interface is handy.

4 Likes

so how did that engrave? that granite two-tone is listed as laser cuttable, but for engraving as rotary only.

6 Likes

That’s very cool…on all counts. I’ve never seen that kind of acrylic before…pretty interesting. I’ve scarcely used the UI graphics, either. It will be interesting to see if the subscription price pulls me in.

4 Likes

They are pieces of 22 ga gold colored wire threaded back and forth through the channel (3 passes) with a gold glass bead at each end to prevent the wire from slipping out.

Not too bad, I was fairly pleased with the result. I had to do a bit of testing to get optimum conditions. If there is interest I could do a post in BTM with settings.

6 Likes

Very nice! It makes it look so elegant!

2 Likes

Wow, what a nice turnout! Love the look.

3 Likes

Very nice result - has a mosaic like quality to it.

2 Likes

Very nice. Do you have a Doxie? Last summer we rescued an abused female Dachshund.

2 Likes

No, but my sister does. The box is for her. At least I hope she still does, the little guy is really old. She doesn’t always mention when she loses a pet.

3 Likes

She will love it!!! I hope her pup is still with her.

3 Likes

What a lovely little box. Thanks for the tip on BF Plastics and showing the granite/gold combo. Cute doxie! I will be joining the hosting service as well. :slight_smile: