Simple pen box

Made this for my father in law for Xmas. It’s a pen display/storage box for his craft shows. Made out of 1/8” wenge. There are 20 slots on two layers. And when he takes the lid off at his show, he can set one tray in the lid and leave the other in the base.

this wenge i had was particularly open grained, so i got to try using some aqua coat grain filler for the first time.

50 Likes

That’s a real beauty!

8 Likes

Nice, nice.

Any notes on the aqua coat?

6 Likes

patience. multiple coats (3 here), scraped on, let dry, sand, rinse, repeat.

but, it gives a very smooth finish. it’s what my guitar building partner uses on the guitars before he puts the final finish coat on top. in this box’s case, i finished with feed-n-wax. then buffed it with a buffing wheel.

this is the grain sealer i used.

17 Likes

It is a lovely gift which will certainly accent and protect his pens.

7 Likes

Very nice!

5 Likes

This is very elegant. Great job!

6 Likes

It may be a simple box, but it’s simply elegant. Very, very nice.

6 Likes

I’m sure he loved it, it is beautiful!

4 Likes

That’s a lovely box. And the finish is superb!

3 Likes

So I saw “Simple pen box” and thought “I’ll have a look.” So I did. Then I saw it was made by @shop and I was like “Yeah… ‘Simple’ is going to take on a different meaning here.”

Gorgeous!

6 Likes

it is simple. just a basic 2-piece box from boxes.py with a few finger manipulations. no engraving, no additions.

the non-simple part is the long, drawn out finishing with the grain sealer. most of the time, that’s probably overkill, but with a very open grain, it really adds a much smoother finish.

it still looks a little open grain because i didn’t color the grain filler, so it was mostly clear (it picked up a tiny bit of sanding dust so some wenge color). i’ve seen where people color their grain filler to accentuate that grain. so adding darker coloring when filling a lighter wood so the grain becomes even more contrasty.

5 Likes

Where did you get the 1/8 wenge? Or did you resaw it/

this specific wenge i got from a mennonite planing mill in maryland a few years ago. i stopped by on my way home from a trip and found a 12" x 72" x 1" board and they resawed it down to 12x19x.125 boards for me.

but…

you can get 1/8" wenge from ocooch hardwood. you can even get 1/16" from them.

https://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll-saw-lumber/wenge/

4 Likes

Thanks… I do use Oochcooch on occasion…You do some fine work… please keep sharing.

Jim

3 Likes