Simple Rock Collection Box

My 3 year old loves to pick up rocks as we go on walks around the neighborhood. I decided to make him a little box that he could use to store the rocks he find. Boxes are out of my comfort zone so take it as it is. The picture shows this box with a modified top. i added his first initial and a message to the clear top. I tried adding a little groove for the clear lid. Enjoy!

My Rock Collection Box

57 Likes

Well done!

3 Likes

That is awesome! I bet your son loves it! Such a cool dad!

4 Likes

Way to go, dad!

4 Likes

Nice! The first time a colored mineral caught my attention as a child it awakened a keen interest in geology, and subsequently in practically all science. Feed that curious intellect! I predict you may soon need a bigger box. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Great box! Fair warning, though. If he’s anything like my kids (and grandkids), you’re gonna need a bigger box. :wink: :shark:

8 Likes

Or multiple boxes…

6 Likes

And a box to hold the boxes!

6 Likes

Nice reuse of your calibration board! :smiley:

10 Likes

Sharp eye. I hadn’t caught that.
I was too hung up on the slot.

3 Likes

Excellent.

2 Likes

Our entire family collected rocks. So, yes … great gift!! Thank you for sharing your design.

2 Likes

How deep is the groove for the lid? I like that idea.

1 Like

it’s not too deep. I just used the draftboard engrave setting to make the grooves. i should have done 2 passes if i were going to make another one. The lid came into existence after i cut the box and calped the groove.

1 Like

I was too fascinated with geology and rocks when i was younger. He is a copy of me for sure. I want to wait until the youngest one is a little older and we’re going to head to Arkansas to dig for diamonds. We did this when the older two were young and it wasn’t too enjoyable. I might make a special box for them when we do this.

3 Likes

Love this! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes