Since PVC (Sintra) can not be cut what other flexible plastics like ABS can be cut?

Is there any flexible plastics like ABS that can be cut on the GF+ without causing the GF or me harm?
I have read on several sites that ABS can be cut on other CO2 laser cutters. Can it be cut on the GF+?

From http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials :

ABS does not cut well in a laser cutter. It tends to melt rather than vaporize, and has a higher chance of catching on fire and leaving behind melted gooey deposits on the vector cutting grid. It also does not engrave well (again, tends to melt). Cutting ABS plastic emits hydrogen cyanide, which is unsafe at any concentration.

2 Likes

Thanks I saw that. But it doesn’t answer the question.
Is there a flexible plastic that can be cut with a GF+?

Is a foam OK? EVA foam is safe and cuts well. It comes in a variety of thicknesses and, I assume, densities.

2 Likes

Define flexible? Thin acrylic is pretty flexible, and you can heat treat it and bend it to any shape you like.

Polyurethane is pretty easy to cut, and is a polymer (and thus technically a plastic, I believe). Lots of fake leathers are polyurethane, as are several films, aka “vinyl” that isn’t PVC.

The problem with a lot of softer stuff like polyethylene is that it tends to get melty and cause issues.

Maybe you can elaborate on your use case and someone will pipe up with an idea?

@jbv replies…

I think @jbv answered that question quite thoroughly. Thanks, @jbv!

1 Like

Click on that link that #jbv put in his post. It explains the materials that can and cannot be cut.

That’s a very handy list that I’d not seen before, thx @jbv

A little disappointed to find Lexan on the “Never” list, as I had purchased a couple of large .093" sheets based on another list claiming it was safe.

I know GF won’t support non-PG materials, but I do wish they had a list of unsuitable yet common materials.

1 Like

not sure of your intended application, but mylar is pretty awesome.

2 Likes

The list is a good guideline, but remember it is for a co-working makerspace, so some of the “never” materials are there because of the potential to damage/gunk up the machine. From what I parse, according to the ATX list, is that lexan isn’t “unsafe” in the way that PVC or ABS is… that is to say, it doesn’t release toxic/corrosive gas. Still, based on what they have to say about it, I personally would not want to risk it.

3 Likes

jbv

I am new here so if I offended you I apologize.
Mylar may work . . thanks.

2 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

I’ve cut 7 mil mylar a lot with good results. And that stuff is darn near indestructible.

1 Like

I have cut ABS. It’s not a real clean cut. I have 1.5 and 3mm it cuts better with two passes. It does NOT engrave well. Cut edges are not smooth.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.