Skirt bee cutout

We just call them rare-earth magnets in Canada because neodymium is too hard to pronounce.

5 Likes

I’ve used them on an 80w laser - great results, but they can be a bear to remove unless they still have a bit of mounting hardware attached.

Hmm… Bet some thin material could be 'forged as a holder for them. Solid layer as base and a traced cut layer around the magnet (With handle). Glue together & voila!

Good idea. Now, if I only had a laser to make the holders…hmmm
Gonna have to be some might strong glue to keep the holders from pulling away from such a strong magnet, :laughing:

I would guess gorilla glue/super glue could do the trick. But hard drive magnets do have quite a pull to them… If all else fails, a trusty drill and a well placed screw will definitely work.

I was thinking Gorilla glue, too. Thanks

Those magnets are strong enough to be behind a fairly thick layer of something, and still hold something down, which will also make it easier to pull them off. Even just putting a layer of card stock under them will make it easier.
They stick really well to each other, but we keep ours (store-bought) on the cards they were shipped on, and they slide apart quite easily that way.
That’s the secret to get them apart if they do get directly connected, btw; slide them off of each other, don’t try to just pull them straight apart.

1 Like

Since they are so strong, you can buy really small ones that are not so hard to pull off. You can get quite a few for cheap and use them on lots of hold down points to keep things flat and stretched tight. I like these tiny square ones which are basically 10/$1.00
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=1050

4 Likes

That’s a good idea and you can’t beat the price. thanx

This may have just simplified my quilting process. I’ve been wondering how the GF would do with fabric. Now I’m wondering how many layers I could cut through simultaneously if the stack of fabric is held down with magnets. This could be amazing for piecing as well as applique.

3 Likes

There have been a few thread (ha) on this. I’m going to start with denim.

1 Like

The last post was probably about cutting the material but while you are linking topics don’t forget aeva’s demo.

1 Like

Very cool. I’m wanting to make just this sort of project. I already make skirts by using a variety of stenciling, cutwork, and applique. Followed by embroidery and beadwork. Really excited about using the laser to do the cutwork, making my own stencils, and more.

Get Plasti-dip and coat your “too strong” magnets with it. Added bonus that the magnets don’t chip as easy. But the primary reason is to force the magnet to have a minimum distance to anything else, and thus be easier to remove.

Funny you mention that stuff… I was just wondering about whether plasti-dip in the spray form might be laser-safe…
either way, coating magnets with it is a great idea, could also make them easier to see by using the brighter plastidip colors

Use neodymium magnets for all kinds of things. This is how I use cheap cupboard handles to make them easier to detach …

The floral model has a “sticker” on the bottom to avoid scratching the mounting surface.

8 Likes

thats a glorious idea! and such perfectly sized and shaped magnets… where did you come by those?

1 Like

Heck yeah…“This is how I use cheap cupboard handles to make them easier to detach …” I love this idea and could even do this with my four old hard drive magnets.

1 Like

where did you come by those?..

eBay is your friend - in this particular case.

1 Like

A note regarding fabric cutting, synthetics melt - so the laser tends to ‘seal’ the edges a bit and prevent unraveling if the cotton component isn’t too high.
I saw some pretty ‘lacy’ cuts and noticed the fabric heals itself from the heat.
No idea what the ratio of content was.

1 Like