One of our candidates joined for Laser Thursday last night and wanted to cut a bee pattern out of a black skirt that she owned. @aeva had a little experience so we asked for her advice and everything worked out really well!
The fabric was 97% cotton, 3% spandex. Luckily the candidate brought a print out of her design along, so we used the ‘@Kiko method’ and used the trace feature. We set up the skirt in the forge, using magnets on the handy magnetic honeycomb to keep the edges of the skirt down and out of the way of the laser, then just placed the image over top.
The camera lid took a picture and we isolated the bee image (the same way that acrylic traces are done in our other demos), and then just bumped up the speed and gave it a whirl!
I picked a speed that might have been a smidge high, so we had to cut the fabric at a couple points, but it came out really awesome. I put a piece of white paper under it so that you can see. The owner of the skirt is planning on backing it with some colored fabric and sewing it to prevent unravelling.