Slate state coasters

I just can’t stop making things with the crazy laser. I love it. Here is my first attempt at engraving slate coasters. I think they actually came out pretty great! Posted them on Facebook about an hour ago, already sold them. Not too bad!

Let me know what you think!

30 Likes

Welcome to the club! It never stops being awesome. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m quickly learning that!

1 Like

Nice. Looks like you sealed them first? if not, that darkens the slate nicely and gives a higher contrast.
A cool thing about stone is it is all but impervious. That etch will look like that after you are gone.

4 Likes

Definitely fun to make things. Even more fun when people want to buy what you made. Congrats.

4 Likes

Thanks, and yes, I hit them with a couple coats of spray lacquer first and let them dry for a day or so before engraving. I’m very impressed with how just clean they turn out. I’ve already had to order more blanks…but that’s good!

5 Likes

They really came out nice. Are you making a special holder for them?

2 Likes

Good job.

3 Likes

Slate coasters are a very gratifying way to scratch that making itch. Keep your eyes out for sales and have a stack of them at the ready. You’ll find tons of opportunities to churn some out.
Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Fun designs! Congrats on the sale.

2 Likes

I didn’t for this first set, but I will for the next ones. I’m also going to order a slightly different shape blanks next time. These have roughly a 3.5" x 3.5" workable area. I found some that are more full 4" x 4" workable area. Going to give them a shot. Not much more expense so why not.

Very nice, I’ve used spray shellac (Home Depot) and they come out very impressive.

4 Likes

I actually got my spray at a local discount store lol, best place I’ve found locally for great deals on spray paints and stains.

These are cool @ryan.niemer, what settings did you use, would love to have a play with slate.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I will shoot you a message with the settings

2 Likes

Great job on these! Love the Ohio items.
I’m a Hoosier girl … But have been in Ohio for far more years now.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m going to make some up for Kentucky and West Virginia as well. I live right where all 3 states basically meet up together on the river :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look very nice. I was wondering if you could shoot me your settings, too. I am looking at some Home Depot slate tiles for engraving. I mean, slate is slate, right?

1 Like

Thanks, and sure thing!

could I get the settings as well? Just got my glowforge and wanting to try this

1 Like