Slide Rule Bracelet

I had the idea a few years ago while I was working on a couple other retro wearable computers: the Abacus Bracelet and the Abacus Casio. Why not make a wearable slide rule?

And so with the help of some custom etched brass from Ponoko, some leather from Tandy, and my Glowforge, I was finally able to do it:

Yes, it really works. No, I’m not very good at using it without referring to an instruction manual.

I still have some tweaks to make, but I’m so excited to finally hold it! I have to admit that being able to make this was like 70% of the reason I got my Glowforge.

104 Likes

Oh my gosh, this the coolest nerd jewelry I’ve ever seen–nice job!

5 Likes

43 Likes

Nerd squeeee! :squeeee::squeeee::squeeee::squeeee:

9 Likes

Whoa! That’s really awesome. Very clever and looks good too.

7 Likes

Okay that’s just freaking awesome. I have an old school one on my desk. Never thought of making it into a wristband.

4 Likes

That is some next level nerd awesomeness! Well done! I really want to make one of these now, my wife would love one too.

3 Likes

Well that takes the :cake: and then some!!!

3 Likes

Ooooohh geeky leather wearables… Can’t go wrong with that! Lmao :rofl:

3 Likes

Whoa – I’ve been making circular rules in wood and acrylic – never, ever, thought of leather!!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

7 Likes

Do share, please!

3 Likes

Sherlock_envy

3 Likes

Here’s the first one I made…

/uploads/db6859/optimized/3X/9/2/92c5204eaba8747570e0dfd4f87307e927bb7ba5_1_500x500.JPG

That one went back to GF HQ with my PRU. My Basic now sports one in walnut. The others are works in progress and quite camera shy at the moment, especially after seeing yours! I’ll share in the near future. :wink:

32 Likes

Cool! I’d love to see your take on it if you do. But if you decide it’s too much hassle, I’ve got some spare material for making more so I’ve listed it on my Etsy shop.

The link below will get any of my fellow laser nerds 10% off that or anything else there:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HaHaBird?coupon=GFCOMMUNITY

7 Likes

Very nice… I love the detail of the engrave in the leather. I just picked up my first leather sewing tools today…

1 Like

Yes! That came out with so much more detail than I thought it would.

Awesome! I love your stuff, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great stuff!! Really impressed with everything.

A tiny note - on the page with the cork and reclaimed wood map, the text says “Because the wood is reclaimed, each has weathered differently and the grain and patterns you receive may be exactly as pictured.”

I believe you mean "may not be exactly as pictured.

I suppose it could be exactly as pictured, but the chance is pretty darn tiny.

Love your work!

John

2 Likes

so much awesome in such a small package! :smiley:

1 Like

And that is my Father-in-Law’s next birthday present sorted!
Great project, impressive build, that would do well in the Glowforge Store!

1 Like