Slider-lid Box

I forged a simple little tabbed box with a living hinge slider lid. The design is from https://festi.info/boxes.py/. Cut from Woodpeckers 3mm Baltic birch ply with a simple stain.

50 Likes

Cool! I need a pirate one!

5 Likes

Looks great, how smooth is it to open and shut? I’ve had trouble with mine being a bit squeaky and sticky.

3 Likes

NIce! Just curious, I use boxes py a fair amount, what do you typically put in for the Burn Value? I have used 0 to .15. Can never really decide which i think is best for a reasonably tight, glue free hold.

4 Likes

On this one, I left everything at default values (so this was at .1). I glued everything, but the joints were pretty tight.

2 Likes

Thank you. The stain worked out well. The slide action is not that smooth, especially in one direction. I applied beeswax to the edges of the cover, which helped a little, but I suspect I could have placed the little guide shapes that form the path underneath better.

2 Likes

What a lovely little box. I like the design and the color of the stain.

3 Likes

Looks awesome! One of these days I’ll try to make cool slider boxes like this

2 Likes

Sometimes rubbing a little soap into the grove helps as well. Beautiful box and design!

2 Likes

Looks great! Very nice design.

1 Like

Looks great! Fun style.

1 Like

I do appreciate a box where you can’t lose the lid!

3 Likes

Came out great!

Customize the next one. You have a frickin’ laser, for goodness sake! :wink:

thanks for sharing, great generator!

or bar soap rubbed in the groove. I have used that in the past for wood sliding joints.