Small Snap Together Box with Lid

Really cool. I think I’m too tired to understand how that works, but I’m going to stare at it tomorrow until it clicks. No pun intended.

4 Likes

Thanks! It really is kinda weird when you just look at the pictures. :joy::joy:

I made one! This is great thinking and not easy to develop. Cutting is easy ha!
But then, puzzling to get it together : which is fun.

Greetings from the Netherlands and thanks.

3 Likes

A burning candle may be.

:slight_smile: I have heard that a few people are having a hard time getting it together. I am making instructions for it as well. Will post them soon.

6 Likes

love it!

3 Likes

Hey forum peeps!

I really like this design. I am wondering how I can modify it to hold 3.75 inch square coasters (as designed, the box is a bit too large). I am painfully new to everything design related, but I wondered if there is a simple trick to easily scale something like this so all the connectors will still fit. Any advice?

Thanks!

2 Likes

There are three approaches to changing the size that come to mind, but none of them are just quick tricks.

First, you can go to the middle of the design and add length and/or width. Just remember that once you have added an inch to the bottom, it has to be added to the sides and top.
Secondly, you can go to thicker material and scale it. This goes in large chunks, though. Say you want to go from a nominal 1/8" to a nominal 1/4", if the 1/4" is 105% thicker then you scale everything up 105%.

Finally, and this is the one I like, study and understand the joints, and then you can replicate this in any size you want in any material you wish to.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community! I have resized the box to fit coasters. I meant to do it earlier. I created a cutout on the back of the box to make it easy to get the coasters out. Be careful when putting it together. There are some smaller pieces that may stick and to force them will break them. Enjoy. Let me know how it works out. This is sized for Medium draft board.

CoasterBoxDesignDraftboard

10 Likes

@designvh619, Thank you for your posts. You are doing great work. Could you share what software you are using to create your pieces?

2 Likes

Thank you! I use illustrator to draw all my work.

3 Likes

So… this box can be resized? Or no? It looks like your candle holder is a different size. But I could be wrong. I wouldn’t think it could be resized without messing up the latch sides. But… boxes and fingers/latches are not my strong point. Fingers are the worst!!! I hope one day I can improve my knowledge. Actually, I will. One Day. Just not today. :rofl::rofl:. But my daughter was peeking over my shoulder and mentioned she wanted one. So I just thought I would ask. Cool design!!

3 Likes

Hey, sorry, just seeing this. No this cannot be resized without resizing all the tabs and slots. Sorry. :frowning:

3 Likes

Welcome back!!! I have been wondering how you have been doing.

4 Likes

Hey, been busy! Just trying to get through work stuff and still finding time to make stuff. Work is winning at the moment! :rofl:

5 Likes

We missed you and your designs!!!
I hope you have time over the holidays to get some creativity time!

3 Likes

Thank you! Working on it! Hope you have a great holiday!

2 Likes

Mahalo, you too!!! Still have last minute gifts to get / make. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

do you have a picture of the coaster holder one completed? Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Sorry - No I don’t. I forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it away. It looks exactly the same as the taller box - just shorter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes