Small Tabletop Shelves

Hello,

So I’ve attached cut files for these shelves:

minus the Sisyphus icon by Nikolay Necheuhin of the noun project. They are sized for proofgrade medium draft board or plywood, proofgrade thick draft board or plywood, 3mm and 1/4" (6.35mm). I have only cut these in medium proofgrade, but I believe they should work in the other sizes. I use 3.3mm for proofgrade medium and 5.4mm for proofgrade thick. It will take about one and a third sheets of draft board/plywood so three sheets would net you two shelves. The fit with only the shelves, and not the backs is loose and wiggly. Once the backs are inserted it is pretty solid.

The shelves were a generic request to the forum from she_is_evil. I made them mainly because it forced me to do a couple things I wanted to explore in OpenSCAD. They definitely furthered my ability to think in how to structure physical objects with repeating patterns.

Here is a shot of how the backs (except the very first one at the bottom) have a tab that slides into a slot in the shelf. To assemble, insert shelves first and then insert the backs.

The two dozen clamping jigs on the bottom shelf are not included; they photo bombed me.

The inside width of the shelves depends on the file, but ranges from 9.8 - 10 inches. The depth of the shelves from bottom to top are 3.5, 2.5 & 1.5 inches. In the file, the side pieces are rotated such that any artwork placed on them will be facing out (or in if you assemble them backwards.) The files below were saved from Inkscape as plain svg. The one in the pictures above was cut from an Inkscape svg. I’ve heard people who use Illustrator have trouble with the latter format, so I posted ones saved in the former. If they don’t work out you can let me know and I’ll post the ones saved as Inkscape svgs.
Tabletop_Shelving_3mm.zip (3.1 KB)
Tabletop_Shelving_PGMed.zip (2.9 KB)
Tabletop_Shelving_PGThick.zip (3.0 KB)
Tabletop_Shelving_QtrInch.zip (3.1 KB)

41 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! That’s an interesting array of objects you keep in your pantry…

4 Likes

Looks like it would make a good spice rack. Thanks for sharing that!

2 Likes

Clamping jigs…

Do you wish to expound on this foreign concept for a neophyte of limited experience?
Because I really wanted some support and two more hands to help clamp a mess together the other day.

1 Like

I am far from an expert in joinery, but here goes…waiting to be told the correct method I totally missed.

So there is this more or less L-shaped closet that seemed to work fine for many years. But then a new person started using the closet and I was informed its current configuration is very inefficient for its intended purpose and I could undoubtedly make something better. So I came up with a design, but became stuck on the assembly process especially as I would be working solo on it. I rejected a number of joins for a number of reasons, not the least of which is it’s a freaking closet. So I settled on cheap and dirty:

While a weak join, all the pieces will be supported on at least two sides by walls, plus there are three pieces total that interlock for even more stability. The question still remained how to hold them in place while securing the join (16-ga nailer.) Note these are 12 & 16-inch wide boards. Also, note each piece has at least three horizontal and two vertical components. I decided a triangular jig should work with clamps in the indicated positions. I would like to say they were a resounding success, but for a variety of reasons (not my fault this time) I am still waiting to do final assembly.

3 Likes