Small working carousel

IMG_4403
IMG_4404
IMG_4405
IMG_4406

This is my latest project a small working carousel about the size of a cake. The project was similar to my prior carousel that we donated to the local children’s hospital. The entire project was made on my glowforge pro except for the electronics, and dowels. The carousel involved approximately 20 cuts on the glowfroge with about 300-400 separate pieces. The carousel was made with 1/8" Masonite from home depot. I also used my new UV printer to print on the exposed pieces as wall as hand painted trim. The motor was a 250 rpm 12 v motor and it also has a rechargeable 12v battery that can be taken out for charging. All decorations are based around a State of Colorado theme. The re-design of the larger carousel that i previously made took approx 2 months. A really fun project!

48 Likes

This looks amazing

5 Likes

Looks awesome!
Two questions:

1. Can you share what motor you used and how it was wired?
  2. What kind of UV printer do you have?
5 Likes

Very cool! Your projects just keep getting more impressive!

7 Likes

Attached is the info you wanted. As far as wiring i used the directions from each item and the internet. hope this helps
electronic items.docx (6.8 MB)

7 Likes

info on the uv printer i use
UV Printer info.docx (1.4 MB)

4 Likes

electronics info. i used the internet and youtube to figure out wiring

3 Likes

I have got a great business idea for you.

I would pay you for a class to learn how to design and make a carousel. I am thinking $500 a person for a week long class.

5 new students every week— $2500
After a month $10,000

2 Likes

It seems a little fast. Can you slow it down or is the speed needed to get past the friction points?

3 Likes

Yes all you have to do is buy a slower high torque motor. I have designed it so i can take the motor out as well… just did not want to spend more $$

6 Likes

You could possibly slow it down and increase torque with gears?

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer Jimmy but I am a retired guy living in Colorado … not sure want to get back in to working a ton…

4 Likes

yea you bet just need a little re-design. Thanks for the idea!

4 Likes

Great work!

7 Likes

That’s fabulous! My grandfather build a carousel that was about the size of your prior one - by hand. I just imagine how much fun he could have had with a laser :smiley:

11 Likes

:+1:t2:

1 Like

This is one of the coolest projects that I’ve seen!

6 Likes

This is incredibly amazing! What a sweet thing it is.

8 Likes

Wow, you’ve got those horses galloping! That’s the sort of ride I’d want to go on, but my mom would never let me.

That was so enjoyable to see it in action.

8 Likes

A carousel for the kid in all of us. So glad you posted!

6 Likes