Smokey Hill Design 1/8 Maple Settings

Does anyone know the settings for 1/8" Maple bought from Smokey Hill Design? I’m a newbie here.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hey welcome!

Turns out there’s a good way to test almost any material. Check it out, #6:

5 Likes

Most of their stuff cuts fine for me on Proofgrade setting for equivalent products - medium maple plywood

2 Likes

One of the bonuses of Smokey Hill is they put suggested settings on the site:

In this case, PG medium walnut plywood is the recommendation

Also, as long as you’re not cutting at full power, there is no difference between the laser power between the three :glowforge: models.

6 Likes

Try using the settings GF has for their 1/8 maple. Do a test cut with a rectangle or a circle shape…

Everyone’s settings for non-PROOFGRADE materials will be different.

Glowforge users have to learn to LOVE experimenting with non_PROOFGRADE materials.

Digital calipers are an absolute must. Yesterday I spent 3 LONG HOURS – trying to get the correct settings for new material.

So I did that test and it almost gets through, I have to push it through, how can I adjust that so it pops it out like it does with Proofgrade? I assume that’s the cutting setting?

Thanks!

I would lower the speed. There is a huge difference in speed between maple hardwood and maple plywood. if you chose maple plywood-- I would lower the speed to 160.

If you truly want to get the best results from your Glowforge it is absolutely essential you read the entire manual.

The team at corporate Glowforge did a phenomenal job putting the manual together.

I am going to be very candid and this is not intended to upset you. I want to help you.

If you do not enjoy reading, researching, and experimenting, it would be best for you to sell your Glowforge.

There will be many times after you have researched the forums or watched YouTube videos you still do not have the answer to your question. At this point you come here to ask a question.

The the seller’s recommended setting is actually faster than the one for maple - I’m surprised it didn’t cut through - are you using Set Focus to verify the depth of the material?

I appreciate your response. I am just getting starting so I appreciate all the advice on how to get started. Thank you!

1 Like

The best advice I can give you.

1. Read the entire manual 2. Read the entire manual 3. Read the entire manual 4. Read the entire manual !!!

2. Keep a daily log of each print time.

3. Keep up with maintenance

4. Come here to the forums and READ, READ, READ!!!

5. Take your time and be patient.

Here are some things to get you started.
GLOWFORGE LINKS

Massive Google Docs Link— MAKE SURE AND GO INTO ALL THE TOP HEADINGS

Glowforge SETTINGS - Google Drive

Glowforge Customers Training Center - Tips and Tricks, Handy Links - Google Sheets

A. Making boxes with the Glowforge

Make A Box: Generate Laser Cutter Templates for Enclosures!

MakerCase - Easy Laser Cut Case Design

Box Designer

Boxes.py

Online File Generators for Laser Cutting - Maker Design Lab

B. FREE SVGs

Laser cutting designs | Craftsmanspace

Free SVG Image & Icon. | SVG Silh

Free Laser Cut Templates, Download Laser Cutting Designs

SVGCuts.com Blog

Ponoko

C. Free Clipart

D. 40 Places to get free SVGS

F. Different blogs and websites

Made with Forge - Tips, Tutorials, and Freebies for Glowforge

Make CNC DIY Projects & Products | MakeCNC.com

Hacker Factor: Glowforge Notes

Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers |

G. Converting websites Farwest makes it easy to convert inches to decimals.

CloudConvert

Zamzar - video converter, audio converter, image converter, eBook converter

DXF to SVG (Online & Free) — Convertio

H. Supplies

Ocooch Hardwoods - Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Laser Engraving/Cutting, Woodturning, Intarsia and More

Glowforge SETTINGS - Google Sheets

I. Learn to design

Glowforge Training Center - Raster Design - Google Sheets

Glowforge Customers Training Center - 2D Vector Design - Google Drive

J. Online Classes

Online Classes by Skillshare | Start for Free Today

Online Courses - Learn Anything, On Your Schedule | Udemy

K. YouTube Channels

Lady Crockett Crafts

Troy the Maker

Fresh Start Customs

ToolMetrix

WayofWood

Panthera Press

ThinkLaser Limited

John Kuiphoff

When Geeks Craft

L. YouTube Channels to learn Inkscape

TJ Free

Logos by Nick

I have cut a LOT of 1/8" maple from Smokey Hill Designs. Go to their website and find the material of theirs that you want to cut…scroll down and there is this box:

Been working great for me on any of their products.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I appreciate you sharing all of these sources with me. I greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

I want you to update me when you have read that manual. I do not want to read a post that your Glowforge caught on FIRE

Wow! I actually printed it out so that I could read it. I will update you soon! I plan on sitting down with it shortly. Thank you so much for your advice and for your caution! You have been very kind!

1 Like

This makes me very happy. I will give you a quiz next week.

Here is a sample

You just started a 45 minute printing job. You will be cutting and engraving on masked leather but while the Glowforge is running there are some things you need to do.

1. Start cooking dinner but every 10 minutes you go check on your project.

2. Stand over the Glowforge for the ENTIRE 45 minutes and watch your project being created

3. Stand over the GF for 15 minutes. Five minutes in the beginning. Five minutes half way through and five minutes at the end.

4. Stand over your Glowforge for the first 10 minutes. Everything is running fine and you decide it’s time to take a very quick shower. . You will be back in a quick 10 minutes.

You know yourself well enough to know —-what you are going to do. I want to know your answer.

Hi… Sorry its been a while. I would and have been doing number #2. I am too fearful of it catching on fire.

2 Likes

Yes you are correct !!

1 Like