Smokey

Hi guys! Just got my Glowforge pro. Have it hooked up to the air filter and I feel like it’s still really Smokey and fumey. Is this normal? Using the proof grade materials of course. Smoke is coming from the front of machine, sort of seeping out. Is this normal/safe???!!

1 Like

If it’s your first time using the filter…couple of things:

1. Turn the knob on the front until you can hear the fan roar. It’s an adjustable speed fan…the lowest setting on the knob is practically “Off”. It should sit about halfway around.
  2. Remember to flip the little switch in the app that lowers the Glowforge fan. (Under the Three Dots icon now.)
  3. Do not cut Draftboard or MDF while using the filter. It will clog it in a few hours.
3 Likes

Wow thank you. Should I run the hose out the window while cutting those materials then?

Definitely. The filter cartridges are pretty steep to replace, and the glue in MDF will clog the pores. It doesn’t fill it with dust, but it does ruin the filter pretty quick.

1 Like

How do I keep the smoke down while cutting those without the suction of the filter?

If you are venting out of the window, you flip that little switch in the app that turns the exhaust fan back on in the Glowforge. It will force the smoke out the window.

Thank you Jules! That is so helpful!:grinning:

2 Likes

No problem! Enjoy your new Pro. (I still love mine after 3 years…it was definitely a wise decision.) :smile:

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re hitting this snag! I hope the amazing advice @Jules provided helps when printing on specific material.

I’d like to make sure that the settings for your Compact Filter are correct. The knob on the Compact Filter controls the power to the fan. If the power is too high or too low, your filter will not work properly. I’d like to make sure it’s turned to the right setting.

1. What setting is the knob on your Compact Filter turned to?
  2. If it’s currently on “New,” would you turn it to use the middle setting, halfway between “New” and “Full” and let us know if that eliminates the smoke and fumes while you print?

Yes I did that and it works much better! Thanks a bunch

#4. Run the filter after you’re done for as long as you were cutting - so if you were cutting for an hour, run it another hour after you’re done. This pulls the dust & debris further into the filter so it doesn’t surface load the filter so it will last longer.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. It’s great to hear that the advice MarcM provided got you back up and printing! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!