Snap fit windows

Lately I’ve been playing with using PG wood inset cuts with different wood and clear acrylic. I’ve been using the Inkscape Inset/Outset path command with a setting of .001in. With that tolerance I’ve gotten a really good snap fit without glue. It’s really important however to take the cone shape of the beam into account and mirror the design. In this example the red cut (outset .001in) is setup to be flipped and placed into the blue cut (inset .001in) from the top…

…this ended up working well for both wood and clear acrylic…

…I even had some fun adding windows to the Snap & Store Box from Glowforge…

72 Likes

So you still do a small adjustment? (I’ll have to try that.) :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, just make an object (and a mirrored copy) and inset the “hole” and outset the “insert” by .001in. In Inkscape you’ll need to setup the steps in preferences because the defaults are much larger than needed. :wink:

15 Likes

It’s also very important to set your tools in Inkscape to use Geometric bounding box…

ISettings

13 Likes

Would you like to write that up as a little Snap Fit Tutorial that I can move into the Tips and Tricks section and link in the Matrix? (If you want to put it there, i think more people will eventually find it.)

9 Likes

Happy to write something up more formal for the Matrix. Would be good to hear if others have success using these settings to verify the process?

4 Likes

Oh, I’d just go ahead and write it up - folks don’t really tend to report back unless something doesn’t work. :wink:

2 Likes

This is awesome. Also, best university logo ever! I got my master’s there, but I would think so even if it weren’t one of my Alma maters. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info… looking forward to trying it. Wondering if there was any reason (in your above example pics) that you moved the blue (boomerang shape) out of the medallion? it seems that part cut out of the center of the circle is not used, why move the little blue shape?

No reason, I actually moved it inside using the GFUI. It flips first and is inserted before flipping the main logo into the disk.

Great method, thank you for sharing.

Which college has a snail as its mascot?

8 Likes

Oh, man! Now that’s all I’m going to see when I look at it! You’ve just ruined the WSU cougar for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

At least it’s a brave, roaring snail!

7 Likes

Best laugh of the day so far…
And @timjedwards gave me the second one!

3 Likes

I was afraid to ask :joy::joy::joy: but that’s what I saw…

1 Like

Thanks so much for adding the inkscape settings for inset/outset steps. That makes kerf adjustment SO much easier than how I’d been doing it (multiple steps involving strokes as shapes).

2 Likes

I love the Snap & Store Box! My wife wanted a gift for her Yoga instructor and a few quick mods later…

14 Likes

Really amazing work!! Thank you for sharing your information!

I haven’t tried inlays yet … this really makes me want to give it a go!

1 Like

8 Likes