Snow Elf Manor Pop Up Card

Cool!

What gadget did you use to move the camera for the panning shots?

6 Likes

I have a little motion-control robot:

11 Likes

Neat, thank you!

5 Likes

You sir are a master of ‘Origamic Architecture’.

7 Likes

This is so full of wow!! I love the front steps and door.

8 Likes

How cool is it to lay your design out and score the folds - as opposed to ‘the old ways’?
It’s a puzzle you solve by not only the design but by making the bends go right. I can see the draw of that craft. The concentration required is a form of meditation.
I’m sure your friends and family look forward to the cards you send. :kissing_heart: :ok_hand:

10 Likes

The first cards I designed did not involve computers at all. I laid them out on graph paper and, cut them with a scalpel or craft knife. In some cases, there were also isometric pencil drawings. The first holiday production run I did (42 cards) was brutal on my hands.

Being able to lay them out in a vector editor was a lot easier and, made changes less difficult.

Then came the plotting cutters. The first one I played with was a commercial sign cutter but, companies quickly moved towards making machines for home crafters. The second one of those I got (a Bosskut Gazelle) was good enough to cut some designs. Those still put pressure on the paper as they cut and, friction can do a lot of damage. Smaller detail can be difficult. It helped with prototyping and, I could knock out some designs pretty quickly. Those machines are still great for some things, like plasticized stock, which looks awful when laser-cut.

At that point, some of my friends had commercial laser machines for cutting cards and, wow, did I want one of those. Cutting paper without putting any physical pressure on it is the bomb. The Glowforge showed up and, was a lot more affordable than the other laser cutters I had used. Having one right here makes prototyping and production SO much easier.

For one of my earlier videos, I cut the same card with both the Gazelle and the Glowforge:

I did a design for a festival a few years ago that appeared in a zine distributed to attendees. I made a video showing how to cut that one by hand:

Together, those kind of show how it progressed as the technology matured and got less expensive.

14 Likes

My goodness——you are an amazing artist. The video is GREAT.

Congratulations you are now a Glowforge Super Hero.

5 Likes

Cool! I guessed from your age that you came up analog, you have a better appreciation for the tech that way. With the control over power, you can easily embellish the designs with engraving also.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing. It’s incredible!

7 Likes

Love this. Your work is beautiful and your artistry inspiring.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Absolutely beautiful! Making cards like this is fun!!

3 Likes

Saw this on Instagram and loved it! The video is great too. There are some very helpful tips for working with card stock in there. Thanks!

3 Likes

Beyond amazing and incredibly impressive given the delicate nature of the project. You are a true artist! Do you sell any of your files, by chance?

1 Like

If you click on @evermorian’s avatar, you will find a link to an online site.

2 Likes

I don’t currently sell or otherwise provide patterns of most of my designs. I do have a half dozen or so available for free download. Look at the Origamic Architecture tag on my site:

https://evermorestud.io/category/origamic-architecture/

(Download links will generally be in grey boxes towards the end of a post.)

… or, in the Free Laser Designs section here.

There are also a couple at:

3 Likes

Very impressive! That is some clean work.

1 Like

That is simply amazing work. Beautiful artistry.

1 Like

Fantastic work! Thank you for sharing, so many great tips and tools!

What is the the semi-tacky board you used as a base to help hold it down?

My issue has been the blower getting all the bits in the way is how far I got with this last try I had with cutting card stock that you handle well here

1 Like

Ah, yes! Critical to know the magic names of things.

That is a Seklema mat:

You can make a passable, less-expensive alternative for some uses with a piece of MDF or similar and a temporary spray adhesive. When I do that, I typically use the spray adhesive for holding down t-shirts while screen printing.

You can find a lot more info by searching on “seklema” here (both about Seklema mats and the alternatives).

Some folks have even built their own vacuum tables to hold down paper and other lightweight materials.

7 Likes