Snowflakes metallic

We grabbed some cardboard metallic cake bottoms from Wal-M, they are making great snowflakes, masked before also. Like $4 for 5, 12x12, cut at 250/Full

55 Likes

It makes a gorgeous decoration!

3 Likes

That is brilliant! :grinning:

5 Likes

They do look great, and cheap!

1 Like

Are they paper? A plastic?

Did it cut through the metal without issue or did you have to finish it by hand?

Previously in similar materials:

2 Likes

Wow, It looks great! Thanks for the materials tip, I’ll have to pick some up.

2 Likes

Clever idea for a material source :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s a card-stock product, I masked with tape with no problems, laser goes right thru.

2 Likes

This is why I love this forum; the way others just grab something off a shelf somewhere and use it is spectacular. I don’t think I ever would have thought of this on my own, but as soon as you mentioned what it was I knew what you were talking about. Great idea!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m sure I’m not the first. Would make great cake toppers too.

What a great idea - and snowflake.

2 Likes

It’s always fun when someone finds a new material idea! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, amazing idea!

Immediately went to amazon, found this and feel like trying it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Cat-Avenue-Cardboard-Scalloped/dp/B076Y3CFMH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545648165&sr=8-1&keywords=cardboard+metallic+cake+bottoms

However, I never quite know what kind of stuff will produce toxic fumes and/or damage the laser (apart from obviously reflective stuff, of course, but I always mask)… Amazon says it’s made with “corrugated cardboard, metallic gold foil on top, natural kraft on bottom” — do you folks think it’s safe? Any rule of thumb on how to approach the laserable/non-laserable question in the future?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

A beautiful snowflake!

Search the forum for “MSDS”. It’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes