So how easy was it

I’d have thought that prior to shipping and being checked for focus in the Glowforge factory, someone would have put a drop of Loctite Blue/Purple on the focus threads to keep it from moving during shipment (or bumping during boxing)…?

Pure speculation – I’ve not seen the tip of the camera to know if it can even be adjusted.

1 Like

From messing with mine I don’t think it would move in shipping, but would definitely be prone to movement during cleaning.

2 Likes

How about vibration due to lateral motion? Going back and forth, especially mixes of short and long bursts… if it’s especially loose, it’d get looser over time.

1 Like

It’s got no play at all, it’s a bit tacky. Not like a bolt where it would shake loose due to vibration. Mine came in focused from gf. It stayed that way until I turned it myself lol

4 Likes

5 Likes

did you see those weird arcs on the sides? It’s like something has slipped. it’s not just blurry…

1 Like

Isn’t that just the transparent lenses where the white / infrared assist lighting is to light up the material?

1 Like

Unless you meant this… there’s flat surfaces for them to slip a wrench on the lens to tighten/loosen it…

3 Likes

maybe it just needs tightened a little more. My OCD side really wants it to line up parallel with the rest of the housing.

4 Likes

Being that this is a non-gating item, and has zero effect on my productivity, I will let @Dan’s team figure out what has occurred (that’s the whole point of PRU, so my mom would never have to figure out a blurry camera) and will await @Rita and her team suggesting a fix.

2 Likes

Oh I agree. I just can’t help but brainstorm while I wait. :relaxed:

I wonder if that lens assembly has the same threads as (several) GoPros, other action cameras, and a plethora of security cameras. It would be interesting to see what GoPro footage looks like through the Glowforge lens… Would it be super-distorted?

1 Like

I think those are just the adjustment grippies. Unless when you say arcs on the side youre talking about the image that the camera is seeing. I have seen some distortions towards the edge of the bed on some units that looks like gravitational lensing, and im pretty sure that is an optics issue. Mine doesnt have it, but there are definitely some out there with that issue.

1 Like

yeah, thats the gravitational lensing-like distortion I was talking about. pretty sure thats an optics issue. @karaelena had this problem on his first unit, and also the issue where it seemed to look further to the right side of the bed for some reason. The only thing I can think it would be is that the outer lens is pulled too far away from the rest of the optics, or it was just an error in manufacturing. Im leaning more towards the former.

1 Like

Yeeeeah buddy!

We’d have thought so too. :slight_smile:

The arcs that you’re seeing are known (and unrelated); they’re a function of the image processing algorithm, and will be fixed.

12 Likes

Wow that’s unexpected. Guess my assumption was way off. Strange how they only show up on some units and not others

4 Likes

There’s a lot of per-machine calibration that affects how much that manifests.

3 Likes

Never would have guessed that. Pretty cool that they’re so tweakable. Are owners going to have access to any advanced settings?

1 Like