So what thickness/height measurement is being used where?

Look at the base of the tree stand in both pictures. It’s shifted slightly to the right in the bottom pic.

Here you go:

4 Likes

Ok, I get it now. There is a movement of about 1/32 - 1/16". Is that the problem ?
After my experience with the first Glowfinger, the second one is a precision machine, so the change in the alignment between the two pics in small beer to me.
Perhaps I just don’t need that sort of precision, so the movement in the placement caused by incorrect thickness data seems to be insignificant to me.
My UK 2d worth !
:upside_down_face:

Thanks, JB.

1 Like

Pretty much the same for me. It means more for really tight tolerance designs being dropped onto a pre-existing object/shape. But there are also folks here where 0.01" is a lot and causes them serious angst even if all they’re doing is getting it 1/64" closer to the edge of a brand new sheet of material. It’s all dependent on use cases. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sweet animation! :grinning:

Hey @Jules, you’ve made this claim several times in the past (try searching “focus the lid camera”). It does not.

True. Technically it’s not the physical camera itself that is adjusted, it is the preview that we see during the placement. It’s not actually spinning the camera dial.

I left out the word “output”. (I’ll go fix that so that no one is confused by my error.)

3 Likes

Once again Jules for the WIN.

2 Likes

I can say this much: if your material or design is placed to where the red dot doesn’t hit the material (and goes into the crumbtray), it will throw a material height error.

4 Likes

is that the case even if you specified your own material thickness or focus height?

Would appear so. I was using non-PG with a height specified. I haven’t tested it (better things to do with my time) but the red dot uses an area within the design. So I’m fine that it threw an error because I wouldn’t have hit my material.

well, that’s different than what previous owners have found:

but then again, it’s possible that GF has pushed an update between the posts and we didn’t know about it

I actually haven’t done any controlled tests where the material measurement is out of range, or when material isn’t present.

I can, and shall. :slight_smile:

I think all of the quotes you mention, there was material in the spot checked by the red dot within the 0-0.5" range. The error message is when the red dot camera doesn’t see a red dot.

1 Like

Precisely. Basically a “null” value.

I’m not as fine with that. It’s not a big deal, but I would love an override button that said “just go with teh $#%#% height I told you!”

My case was engraving a bunch of dice in a jig. The red dot kept landing just off the edge of a die and giving me an error unless I aligned the jig just so (and a bit off from where I wanted it)

1 Like

How tall were your dice?

Huh. I would have thought you guys had measured that when you were doing all the measurements around the head/lens focusing movements and range.

It would be a useful thing to know. I know the red dot laser used for positioning on the Redsail isn’t very precise so I wasn’t expecting much from it. I figured it was still in process. Didn’t realize it was doing any meaningful measurements.

well it’s supposed to eventually take care of the continuous focus, so it better be meaningful!

But the problem is that it is calculating material height. Let it measure in a hole in the material, or accidentally bounce off a magnet instead of the surface and you will see a definitive change in cut and engrave quality regardless of what you set material thickness to, unless you also set an offset on the step itself.

I understand that we put in a material thickness to let the machine dewarp the image and allow for more accurate placement. I’m just saying IF the red dot is actually taking a percise measurement of where the top of the material is, it would be nice if it would turn around and use that measurement to better refine the dewarping of the bed image, or better yet, When a new clean sheet of material is put in, just automate that whole initial process and let us start fiddling from there. I use offsets all the time, especially with engraves. I don’t want it to take away my ability to set things manually when I want, it just seems they have all or most of the pieces in place to simplify the initial startup and remove at least some user error (oops! Forgot to zero out my calipers!)