SOLVED: Cheap Calipers draining batteries

One of the most import tools to use with your forge is a set of digital calipers. I bought mine from Harbor Freight. I was working on a project last night and need to take some measurements and my battery was dead again. I eyeballed using the printed marks and got pretty close. But I was trying to hunt down tiny watch batteries.

Then I remembered a hack I had seen years ago.

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/362

I also learned why I was having the problem…

If you measure current, you will see that the power off state draws 90% of the current of the power on state. For some reason, all electronic calipers seem to be this way- power off is actually display (only) off. THIS is why the batteries go bad quickly.

I was able to 3D print a battery holder and was back in business in 30 minutes.

I have plenty of AAA batteries charged and ready to go.

15 Likes

Interesting. Not sure I’ve changed the batteries in either of my calipers more than once in several years.

5 Likes

That’s what happens when you buy quality tools.

I ended up just tossing the ones I bought from Amazon, and now “only” have the two Mitutoyo’s I got from my dad. That he’d had for decades.

edit: the ones I keep handy…

3 Likes

Or you can go with a “battery-less” dial caliper like I use! True, I need two—one metric and the other SAE. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I don’t know how quality they are, they’re iGauging brand. The absolute origin is, I guess, a Mitutoyo knock off.

Strange - I’ve had a set of HF digital calipers for over five years and usually get at least a year on a battery. Great hack, though.

2 Likes

It pained me to toss the one I mentioned. I hate wasting stuff. As well as chewing thru batteries, it was unreliable (inaccurate) as well. I stripped it down and cleaned it twice but in the end just had to suck it up and get rid of it. It was highly-rated on Amazon when I bought it but the listing was deleted when I went back to write a review.

Why buy? Well, I only had the smaller Mitutoyo when I bought it, only got the 2nd on my most recent visit to my folks in 2018. It also had a nice feature that it turned on as soon as you moved it - which is likely why it chewed thru batteries.

Looks like I might have blamed HF too soon. I went back and saw that I had indeed ordered it from Amazon. The one I got from HF I gave to my daughter.

1 Like

I haven’t had this issue but I also hate leaving batteries in things I know will be weeks or months between uses so I always pull the battery.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.