Some new tessellation puzzles

Oh, how cool! Imagine if they were also painted!

3 Likes

Will you be selling / sharing these files possibly?

3 Likes

Nice work! Every puzzle lovers dream!

1 Like

These look pretty cool. I’m looking forward to making some puzzles with favorite photos for family members. Puzzles are fun!

Very very cool. I want to try some of these myself. Great inspiration! Thanks!

Wild stuff! Those look super difficult!

Nice work.

Cross linking to a great topic about how to role your own.

4 Likes

I made a “traditional” jigsaw puzzle through a separate path:

I had the local FedEx/Kinkos print to “glossy card stock”, then I used spray adhesive to stick that to mat board that I got from the local frame store.

The next time I go down that path, I want to try using “dry mount” tissue and maybe go to plywood.

I’ve opened up an Etsy shop where I’ve listed my first two experiments, both of which are based on Penrose tilings:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyCleverPuzzles

Once I feel satisfied with my regular tessellation puzzles, I’ll put those up on Etsy, too.

8 Likes

Thanks - Oscar van Deventer is a familiar name - I was thinking about using a Dragon Curve as a basis for one of my puzzles.

I’m going to experiment with finishing - I want to make sure the engraved lines continue to show up, and placed pieces disappear into the pattern.

1 Like

I looked it up and I still don’t know what you said.

But I really do like your puzzles. Fantastic.

@mpipes put a circle puzzle in free designs a long while back, and it is a smashing hit with the teens in my extended family. Something so sinister in a puzzle with no picture to go on. These are particularly awesome with the puzzle shapes hidden in the engraving.

Yeah, it’s a mouthful.

The mathematical guarantee with aperiodic tilings is that you won’t have big duplications in different parts of the output tiling - which feels like a good property for puzzles like this - even if the overall character is consistent, there’s less chance for a piece to fit in more than one place.

As I try to explain this, it occurs to me that this is an interestingly different character between my Penrose puzzles and the most recent two puzzles - the new puzzles allow pieces to connect all over the place, which forces you to use other clues to know if you’re on the wrong track.

6 Likes

These are AMAZING! This community is full of exciting minds.

There is something about aperiodic tiling that is worth contemplating. Meditation on some of the tilings can reveal some important facets of your own way of thinking and feeling. No matter how much you want the tiles to repeat, they won’t. But they seem to be almost there. Parts repeat, but as a whole it is incomplete. Such is the illusion of the self. It seems consistent, but as a whole, it really isn’t there. Just look at the boundary patterns in the above tiling. No real boundaries, just an illusion of a complete circle pattern.

Well, at least I meditate on aperiodic tiling. They are like can openers for the mind. They will pry things loose that you didn’t think were even there.

3 Likes

A strange loop in this forum always leads back to “I am a Strange Loop”. Emergent properties.

2 Likes

Yes. His writing (GEB) pointed me in the direction that mathematicians, neuroscientists and linguistics professors could fill the gap in the theory of mind that my traditional philosophy studies lacked.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, add Dan Dennett to your reading list. Another data point for you.
BTW, I’m reading and liking “Soul made Flesh”. Good recommendation.

Yep, I’ve got a few by Dennett and Zimmer. Antonio Damasio is also very good for the anecdotes about brains, like Oliver Sacks.

The Soul Made Flesh is quite a locus for discussing traditional theories of consciousness. Traditional religious sentiments and devotions kind of melt and dissolve sometimes. The old way of thinking is still with us and powerful. Valentine’s Day? Un-critical notions of the locations of consciousness, emotion and experiential memory make good poetry, but are hardly helpful in rational thinking.

1 Like

Bookmarked :smiley: